Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 415745 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2014, 06:25:28 am »
Sunday I'm showing a couple guys how all grain rolls. Tripel, which reminds me I need to get a couple starters going tonight

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2014, 06:41:29 am »
Kolsch or saison. Will decide this afternoon.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2014, 06:44:38 am »
German Pils hopefully, time permitting.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2014, 08:34:44 am »
brewing up an IPA this weekend. I never really brew IPAs but in the last few months I've been having fun with it. I've got a whole sack of munich and most of a sack of 2 row so I'm scheming for sure. got some farmhouse ideas in the planning stages, which is good because I need to ramp up the sour program again.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2014, 03:36:07 pm »
brewing up an IPA this weekend. I never really brew IPAs but in the last few months I've been having fun with it. I've got a whole sack of munich and most of a sack of 2 row so I'm scheming for sure. got some farmhouse ideas in the planning stages, which is good because I need to ramp up the sour program again.
I've just gotten into making sours this year. I have a Flanders Red and an Oud Briun aging. I plan on making a Berliner Weisse next weekend.
Dan Chisholm

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2014, 03:45:46 pm »
I used to brew IPA all the time. Anymore, it's once every 7-10 batches. Mostly German styles nowadays. This weekend I'm brewing a Munich lager, for lack of a better style guideline. It's basically 70% Munich type I, 30% blend of maris otter and Best pils (left over grain). Hersbrucker hops, and Czech pils yeast. Should be like a darker, maltier helles. Or a lighter Marzen. Supposed to be around 7 SRM.
I had a few German commercial helles recently and several of them were basically Oktoberfest biers. They were nearly amber and very Munich-y tasting, rather than pils tasting. Weihenstephaner is still the benchmark for me.
Jesse

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2014, 05:59:09 pm »
Brewing up the trusty american blonde with lemongrass and lime zest. If I did a crowd pleaser, this is it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2014, 08:24:42 am »
Just kegged a beer for the first time last night - a very nice looking Märzen. It's very hard to resist the urge to rush-carbonate it, but I figure it's better to go slow my first time ;)

Finally going to be brewing my Mo Pils (Bo Pils with Motueka hops) on Monday. And (if mother nature cooperates), I'll be planting my peas and early veggies on Monday as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2014, 10:12:27 am »
Just kegged a beer for the first time last night - a very nice looking Märzen. It's very hard to resist the urge to rush-carbonate it, but I figure it's better to go slow my first time ;)

Finally going to be brewing my Mo Pils (Bo Pils with Motueka hops) on Monday. And (if mother nature cooperates), I'll be planting my peas and early veggies on Monday as well.
Your first kegged beer will last about a week. At least that was the case for me :)
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2014, 10:19:47 am »

Your first kegged beer will last about a week. At least that was the case for me :)

:D   No kidding !   It was easy to count bottles when I started brewing, but that first empty keg gave me a look of disbelief on my face. I could've sworn it ought to be half full !
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2014, 11:36:26 am »

:D   No kidding !   It was easy to count bottles when I started brewing, but that first empty keg gave me a look of disbelief on my face. I could've sworn it ought to be half full !

Man I am so stingy that I am usually trying to kill a keg over the weekend so that I can fill it back up with something ready on Monday. I have beer conserving skills I suppose...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2014, 12:38:01 pm »

Man I am so stingy that I am usually trying to kill a keg over the weekend so that I can fill it back up with something ready on Monday. I have beer conserving skills I suppose...

This is more what I'm afraid of - that I'll run out of kegs because I'm not drinking them fast enough. Now that I'm kegging I don't have to drink a full 12oz at a time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2014, 12:47:09 pm »

This is more what I'm afraid of - that I'll run out of kegs because I'm not drinking them fast enough. Now that I'm kegging I don't have to drink a full 12oz at a time.

Yeah , back in my twenties it was more likely than not that the keg got drained in a big weekend bash.  Now I have to give it away or have people over to free up keg space, since I brew a lot more than I drink. Make friends with all your neighbors - mine help empty my kegs pretty regularly !
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2014, 01:19:15 pm »
I never want less than 12oz unless I'm sampling a new batch, gauging its readiness. I never understood that aspect of it. Who wants just 2oz of a beer? If it's good, pour a damn pint and quit bein' a wuss! Or if you bottle and someone wants a sample, pour them 2 oz and pour yourself the rest. Beer isn't that hard to drink, is it? I'm thirsty for a beer on a friday afternoon, can you tell?
Other than that, I like kegging because it's just easier and cooler. I still like to bottle hefes though for the yeast sediment, because they usually clear a little more than I'd like in the keg.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2014, 01:25:00 pm »
I still like to bottle hefes though for the yeast sediment, because they usually clear a little more than I'd like in the keg.

+1.  When I keg a hefe, I rack a small amount of the yeast into the keg with the beer, being careful not to get down into the trub.  And then every few pints, gently rock the keg to stir up the yeast. Works pretty well.
Jon H.