Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421520 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #615 on: December 19, 2015, 05:29:12 pm »
got o"fest boiling right now..not sure what I was thinking. coldest day since last year26F with 17F windchill.  :o

Yeah, pretty damn winter-y today. We haven't had much of that so far, luckily. Gonna try to brew next weekend.

and one of those days brewing....my grain mill seems to have issue with bearings and needs to be taken apart. and my chiller needs gasket replaced as it was leaking. couple all that with freezing my arse off during boil and cleaning up.....uggh. glad I have home brew to drown my pain.  ::)

edit: oh yeah- almost forgot. my primary gram scale went haywire. luckily had a spare to use, but damn...what a day.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 05:51:44 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #616 on: December 19, 2015, 05:56:16 pm »
got o"fest boiling right now..not sure what I was thinking. coldest day since last year26F with 17F windchill.  :o

Yeah, pretty damn winter-y today. We haven't had much of that so far, luckily. Gonna try to brew next weekend.

and one of those days brewing....my grain mill seems to have issue with bearings and needs to be taken apart. and my chiller needs gasket replaced as it was leaking. couple all that with freezing my arse off during boil and cleaning up.....uggh. glad I have home brew to drown my pain.  ::)

edit: oh yeah- almost forgot. my primary gram scale went haywire. luckily had a spare to use, but damn...what a day.

What have you done to make the brew gods angry with you?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #617 on: December 19, 2015, 05:59:06 pm »

Yeah, that's brutal.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #618 on: December 19, 2015, 06:21:39 pm »

Yeah, that's brutal.

no kidding right?!  anyway, I managed to make what should be a really nice beer....albeit with every bit of difficulty.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #619 on: December 19, 2015, 06:31:18 pm »

Just brewed Best Bitter II.

94.4% Pale
5% Crystal 60
0.6% Chocolate

20 IBU Fuggles @ 60
10 IBU Brewers Gold @ 10
WLP002
Amber malty water
1047 OG

Side note: I widened my mill gap to 0.040" today. No more stuck sparges and still got 77% efficiency into the fermenter.
Wow, that surprises me you got that efficiency. Sounds like a nice beer. Been meaning to brew a string of British styles, just haven't picked up the yeast yet.
It was a tight 40 mils w/feeler gauge. Crush looks good. My drill runs pretty fast so there is some shredding of the malt. Much less at 40 mils.

I was getting 80-81% at 35 mils.
I'm perfectly happy with the 75% efficiency I get, to be honest. I get anywhere between 75 and 80% at .032mm gap (I think, either that or 0.035mm). Either way, I'm perfectly fine with it as long as it's consistent.
I'm brewing a Vienna Lager tomorrow morning. Looking forward to that. Then off to drink beer with my dad all afternoon! Should be one of the better days :)
Jesse

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #620 on: December 19, 2015, 07:16:02 pm »

Just brewed Best Bitter II.

94.4% Pale
5% Crystal 60
0.6% Chocolate

20 IBU Fuggles @ 60
10 IBU Brewers Gold @ 10
WLP002
Amber malty water
1047 OG

Side note: I widened my mill gap to 0.040" today. No more stuck sparges and still got 77% efficiency into the fermenter.
Wow, that surprises me you got that efficiency. Sounds like a nice beer. Been meaning to brew a string of British styles, just haven't picked up the yeast yet.
It was a tight 40 mils w/feeler gauge. Crush looks good. My drill runs pretty fast so there is some shredding of the malt. Much less at 40 mils.

I was getting 80-81% at 35 mils.
I'm perfectly happy with the 75% efficiency I get, to be honest. I get anywhere between 75 and 80% at .032mm gap (I think, either that or 0.035mm). Either way, I'm perfectly fine with it as long as it's consistent.
I'm brewing a Vienna Lager tomorrow morning. Looking forward to that. Then off to drink beer with my dad all afternoon! Should be one of the better days :)
Definitely. I am not interested in higher. It seems like 70-80% very normal and makes good beer. People with the Picobrew and other automated brew systems seem to get 60-70%. So we're doing good.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #621 on: December 19, 2015, 08:02:27 pm »

Paul, you didn't use Avangard as a base, did you ?  I get an efficiency bump of a few points when I use their pils. Just wondering.

Nah rahr 2 row and weyermann for the Munich and vienna
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #622 on: December 20, 2015, 01:17:29 pm »
I brewed a Holiday Red Ale last night. I was a cpl degrees shy of my target temp but since I brew outside i'll chalk it up to the cooler ambient temperature lately. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:24:00 pm by BrewBama »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #623 on: December 20, 2015, 05:36:44 pm »
After traveling so much, it is time to brew some beers. Pilsner tomorrow.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #624 on: December 25, 2015, 12:05:33 pm »
Cleaned up the garage after all the kids presents were opened today so I can start my lager run.  Munich Dunkel with WY 2308 Munich lager tomorrow, then repitching into a Vienna lager, then Helles (gonna give it a try with 85/15 pils/kolsch malt). Slowly gearing up for spring competition season.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #625 on: December 26, 2015, 09:12:34 am »

Cleaned up the garage after all the kids presents were opened today so I can start my lager run.  Munich Dunkel with WY 2308 Munich lager tomorrow, then repitching into a Vienna lager, then Helles (gonna give it a try with 85/15 pils/kolsch malt). Slowly gearing up for spring competition season.

Sounds great. Doing same thing with wlp833- ran it on Helles, o'fest, and dunkel is next. Going to brew up an alt tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #626 on: December 26, 2015, 10:35:39 am »

Sounds great. Doing same thing with wlp833- ran it on Helles, o'fest, and dunkel is next. Going to brew up an alt tomorrow.

Kegging an Oktoberfest tomorrow and brewing a helles.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #627 on: December 26, 2015, 10:36:58 am »

Kegging an Oktoberfest tomorrow and brewing a helles.

Must be 3 great minds syncing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #628 on: December 28, 2015, 08:56:10 am »
Hoping to get a Barley wine going tomorrow or the next day. It's finally cold here and we're supposed to get a few inches of snow/ice/sleet tomorrow so maybe Wednesday or Thursday. It's my nearly annual Brew to Celebrate my son who is now 5 so has only 16 more years to wait till he can taste any of it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #629 on: December 28, 2015, 09:22:22 am »
Brewed a massive Imperial Stout (roughly planned using BCBS as a starting point) that I'm going to barrel age half and 'dry-bean' the other half with Godiva coffee.