Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423191 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #675 on: January 09, 2016, 06:36:03 pm »
Just love 833 in Ofest, or any other malty lager
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #676 on: January 09, 2016, 07:14:26 pm »
Looks phenomenal Ken - I am savoring the last bit of my mosaic/azacca apa, but I know it's going soon - once it does the fest will be hitting that tap.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #677 on: January 09, 2016, 07:20:35 pm »
How do you like that hop combo, Paul?  Does the Mosaic dominate?
Jon H.

Offline blatz

« Reply #678 on: January 09, 2016, 07:23:37 pm »
Great combination - mosaic is more powerful but the azacca is definitely present - very diff than the all mosaic beers I've had.  I will certainly make this recipe again.  Despite the 40ish IBUs it comes across borderline IPA - intense is the best way to describe it.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #679 on: January 09, 2016, 07:27:03 pm »
I'm having Tough time liking mosaic. Just had mosaic IPA in Cincinnati at brewery and just tasted like an onion/garlic bomb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #680 on: January 09, 2016, 07:39:56 pm »
Great combination - mosaic is more powerful but the azacca is definitely present - very diff than the all mosaic beers I've had.  I will certainly make this recipe again.  Despite the 40ish IBUs it comes across borderline IPA - intense is the best way to describe it.

I'll remember to try it. I blended Azacca with several hops last year but not Mosaic.  Ken, I've heard another brewer talk about getting onion/garlic from Mosaic, but I've never had that from it. Must be a harvest thing - it's a great hop normally.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #681 on: January 09, 2016, 07:43:06 pm »

I'll remember to try it. I blended Azacca with several hops last year but not Mosaic.  Ken, I've heard another brewer talk about getting onion/garlic from Mosaic, but I've never had that from it. Must be a harvest thing - it's a great hop normally.

right could be many things. the few times I've had it as the dominant hop, its been the same outcome.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #682 on: January 11, 2016, 08:43:07 am »

I've gotten it, but only at low levels just above my taste threshold. Never gotten a Summit-like onion bomb from it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #683 on: January 11, 2016, 08:53:43 am »
Double brewday going right now:

Brew #1 - Double whirlpool IPA - 8 oz Meridian, 2 oz X-17 at flameout with a hot whirlpool for 90 minutes, 3.5 oz Vic Secret and 2 oz X-17 at 120F for 60 more minutes, no dry hops. The Vic Secret is so distinct with passionfruit, that it should be a decent indicator for how much flavor/aroma comes from that 120F addition.

Brew #2 - Bought what I thought was just a Mr Beer fermentor on Xmas clearance at Target for $12. Turns out there was a kit inside. It was their "Classic American Light" kit, which is just a can of hopped DME and a 5g packet of yeast and instructions to ferment at ale temps. I'm going to amp it up a little with an ounce of Tettnang as I bring the DME just to a boil, along with 5 ounces of rice syrup solids to boost the gravity slightly. I'm going to pitch a full packet of 34/70 at 45F and ferment at ambient in the coldest corner of my basement. Should be interesting. Also got a small packet of Coopers carb drops, so all-in-all this was a nice score even if the beer sucks.
Eric B.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #684 on: January 11, 2016, 12:33:20 pm »
Double brewday going right now

Brew #2 - Bought what I thought was just a Mr Beer fermentor on Xmas clearance at Target for $12. Turns out there was a kit inside. It was their "Classic American Light" kit, which is just a can of hopped DME and a 5g packet of yeast and instructions to ferment at ale temps. I'm going to amp it up a little with an ounce of Tettnang as I bring the DME just to a boil, along with 5 ounces of rice syrup solids to boost the gravity slightly. I'm going to pitch a full packet of 34/70 at 45F and ferment at ambient in the coldest corner of my basement. Should be interesting. Also got a small packet of Coopers carb drops, so all-in-all this was a nice score even if the beer sucks.

This is awesome.  Enter it in to NHC!  It will probably take a gold!   ;D

Brewed a vienna lager today.  Hit all numbers dead on - mash temp, wort pH, and OG.  This beer is destined for greatness... 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #685 on: January 11, 2016, 02:50:36 pm »
Double brewday going right now

This is awesome.  Enter it in to NHC!  It will probably take a gold!   ;D

Brewed a vienna lager today.  Hit all numbers dead on - mash temp, wort pH, and OG.  This beer is destined for greatness...
I'll enter it as a Helles. I'll win BOS for sure ;)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline blatz

« Reply #686 on: January 11, 2016, 03:06:22 pm »

I'll enter it as a Helles. I'll win BOS for sure ;)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So I take it that "it" also came with the Mr Beer Kit ??

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #687 on: January 11, 2016, 03:23:56 pm »
So I take it that "it" also came with the Mr Beer Kit ??

No doubt. Probably 'It Extract'.   ;D
Jon H.

Offline blatz

What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #688 on: January 11, 2016, 03:35:18 pm »
Anyone remember Randy's Boyband hit single on Southpark?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DOk2u_Bu73I

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #689 on: January 11, 2016, 04:07:54 pm »
I'm having Tough time liking mosaic. Just had mosaic IPA in Cincinnati at brewery and just tasted like an onion/garlic bomb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It tastes funky to me too, just a like a lot of the newer hop varieties that are popular now. I like the more traditional varieties with Simcoe being about the newest variety I like.

I'm gonna brew a British special bitter this weekend with Munton's maris otter (first time using it) and a few ounces of special roast with EKG's to about 30 IBU and 1318. Hope it's worth a damn...
Jesse