Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421862 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2014, 08:17:43 pm »
On Saturday I'll be brewing 10 gallons of a recipe that is pretty much Tomme Arthur's Dubbel as found in "Brew Like a Monk", with one fermenter getting WY 1214, the other getting 3787.

The flameout addition of 10 oz of dark raisins will first be caramelized in a hot metal pan with a splash of cherry port with brandy, and then pureed in the blender before adding to the kettle.

Additional sugar will be 2 lbs of D2 Belgian Candi Syrup also added at flameout.

Ended up with an extra gallon and 1.071 instead of calculated 1.070.  It's nice to get good efficiency (79%).

I realized that I needed to start adding the D2 and raisin puree at about 10 minutes left in the boil, to get it to incorporate by flameout.  All went really well, and got a nice caramelization on the raisins but nothing burned (used 9 oz of raisins) with the cherry port, plus a cup of wort.  It took the full split of my homemade port, so I ended up adding a few ounces of brandy in the blender to get it to puree, which I did well-blended, so nothing would get strained out when transferring from kettle to fermenters through a strainer, to catch hop pellets and break material.

All in all a great day!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2014, 08:29:12 pm »
On Saturday I'll be brewing 10 gallons of a recipe that is pretty much Tomme Arthur's Dubbel as found in "Brew Like a Monk", with one fermenter getting WY 1214, the other getting 3787.

The flameout addition of 10 oz of dark raisins will first be caramelized in a hot metal pan with a splash of cherry port with brandy, and then pureed in the blender before adding to the kettle.

Additional sugar will be 2 lbs of D2 Belgian Candi Syrup also added at flameout.

Ended up with an extra gallon and 1.071 instead of calculated 1.070.  It's nice to get good efficiency (79%).

I realized that I needed to start adding the D2 and raisin puree at about 10 minutes left in the boil, to get it to incorporate by flameout.  All went really well, and got a nice caramelization on the raisins but nothing burned (used 9 oz of raisins) with the cherry port, plus a cup of wort.  It took the full split of my homemade port, so I ended up adding a few ounces of brandy in the blender to get it to puree, which I did well-blended, so nothing would get strained out when transferring from kettle to fermenters through a strainer, to catch hop pellets and break material.

All in all a great day!

Man, that sounds like a good one(s) - you'll have to post how each one comes out.
Jon H.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2014, 08:38:28 pm »
I'll do that!

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2014, 01:50:02 am »
Brewed 10 gallons of Czech Pilsner, faux Urquell today.  Ground water temp up to 56F and it was pretty darn warm today so still waiting for the wort in the ferment fridge to get down to 47F so I can pitch.  Drinkin' homemade red wine, it's the weekend, life is good!  Next year it's back to brewing pilsner earlier in the spring, when the tap water thru my IC will get the wort down to pitching temp.

Still, I hit my numbers exactly, have plenty of yeast to pitch, and it was an excellent brewday.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2014, 03:40:39 am »
Taking a s*** at a local favorite: Chickow from Triple Digit Brewing. It is a double hazelnut brown ale with OG of 1.100(triple digit brewing.) from their website I know all ingredients but no %s. I have most vital stats: OG, IBU, est ABV but not color, so I'm hoping to try it all out a couple ways and get close to the original. Have a great weekend all

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2014, 03:43:19 am »
That was taking a shot, sorry didn't catch typo

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2014, 04:31:10 am »
10 Gallons summer ale from Radical Brewing be my third batch of this, first came out amazing messed up the recipe and left out the crystal and late sugar addition..Second time around all ingredients in and on schedule final taste,came out better the first time. Third time no crystal again and late sugar addition love the corriander and ginger combo.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2014, 05:31:35 am »
This weekend I'm brewing up 15 gallons of robust porter and running a coffee experiment in an American Stout, focusing on best times to add coffee to a batch.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2014, 02:55:29 pm »
Tomorrow I'm brewing a batch of my house IPA. I'm trying to save some time so I can take the kayak out and maybe plant a few more veggies. I'm planning on doing a partial mash using a couple pounds of MO and a touch of Aromatic, then making up the difference with DME and some sugar. I'm also thinking of adding Hibiscus. I might do the sugar as a side boil with some Hibiscus, then adding the tea it back mid-hop stand to goose the temps up a bit if they start to drop. Going for a bit of a Mai TaIPA theme on this one.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2014, 07:31:47 pm »
Ok, my awesome wife gets her day a few times a year in my brewery (deservedly so), so what better time of year than summer for a fruit wheat.  She has ordered a Peach Mango Wheat, so that's what it'll be.  Gonna be ~ 1.052 OG, American Wheat yeast, finished with a small FO addition of Citra to accentuate mango/peach flavors.  2 - 49 oz cans of Oregon peach puree and a small bottle of mango nectar in secondary, kegged with one more small bottle of mango nectar. 60 minute mash, 60 minute boil - quick and easy. She gets to have a bunch of friends over, summertime party ensues.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2014, 09:49:33 pm »
No brew day for me. Local-ish brewery is hosting a campout for the club on their property. Not letting a chance of thunderstorms deter me.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2014, 10:43:16 pm »
both of you guys' plans sound great! 

I'm currently crash cooling two buckets of Czech pilsner to keg tomorrow, cleaning a few kegs, and will brew either tomorrow (Saturday) or Sunday 10 gallons of Simcoe Galaxy Pale Ale.  I need to have a full keg of PA to take on my annual Oregon Coast fishing trip later this summer.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2014, 11:04:28 pm »
Oregon coast? That sounds terrible. The trees, fresh sea air, tillamook cheese (and ice cream), and old ship wrecks. Just terrible.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2014, 11:28:45 pm »
Last year was better than great.  Our boat of four caught 10 nice chinook in 2 days, and 2 halibut the next day.  One of my chinook was 30 pounds and my halibut was 65 pounds.  My job is to bring lots of homemade beer and wine for the evenings, to go with BBQ fish or steaks and corn.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2014, 07:10:02 am »
Last year was better than great.  Our boat of four caught 10 nice chinook in 2 days, and 2 halibut the next day.  One of my chinook was 30 pounds and my halibut was 65 pounds.  My job is to bring lots of homemade beer and wine for the evenings, to go with BBQ fish or steaks and corn.

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy !
Jon H.