Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417358 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #765 on: February 08, 2016, 03:13:50 pm »
That's a serious stout Blatz, how long do you age it? 

probably won't start drinking it in earnest until about this time next year to be honest.  The last time I made this in 2008 (albeit smaller that time ~1.102) it really hit its stride about 2-3 years in - I won 4 medals with that one including a BOS and a Runner Up BOS a year apart.

Am going to keg 5 gal regular and the rest into two 3 gal kegs, plan on treating one or both of them.  One will get mission figs and espresso beans - sort of a "Roman" Imperial Stout  ::)

Sounds killer. The figs is a great idea.

pulled a sample of this from one of the kegs that is currently aging at room temp, carbed/chilled and had Saturday night.  even at this young age, it is incredible - the figs add such a depth of rich dark dried fruit and sweetness (in a good way), while not overpowering the massive stout base.  the espresso roast is there but not quite as prominent as I would prefer - might add some more beans.  great complements to an already great base RIS.  rich, velvety, smooth.  one of the top 10, if not 5 beers I've made - and it may advance up the scale as it ages - who knows?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #766 on: February 08, 2016, 03:15:16 pm »

probably won't start drinking it in earnest until about this time next year to be honest.  The last time I made this in 2008 (albeit smaller that time ~1.102) it really hit its stride about 2-3 years in - I won 4 medals with that one including a BOS and a Runner Up BOS a year apart.

Am going to keg 5 gal regular and the rest into two 3 gal kegs, plan on treating one or both of them.  One will get mission figs and espresso beans - sort of a "Roman" Imperial Stout  ::)

pulled a sample of this from one of the kegs that is currently aging at room temp, carbed/chilled and had Saturday night.  even at this young age, it is incredible - the figs add such a depth of rich dark dried fruit and sweetness (in a good way), while not overpowering the massive stout base.  the espresso roast is there but not quite as prominent as I would prefer - might add some more beans.  great complements to an already great base RIS.  rich, velvety, smooth.  one of the top 10, if not 5 beers I've made - and it may advance up the scale as it ages - who knows?

Sounds just killer, man. Should be amazing next fall/winter.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #767 on: February 08, 2016, 03:53:16 pm »

Was that the uber roasty recipe you posted a while back?  If so, I remember wanting to try that one out.

Offline blatz

« Reply #768 on: February 08, 2016, 04:25:55 pm »
Yeah 1.112 RIS
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline beerman59

• 1st Kit
« Reply #769 on: February 12, 2016, 06:05:39 am »
making cream ale today.
Milwaukee

Offline blatz

« Reply #770 on: February 12, 2016, 08:16:16 am »
brewing my house IPA early sunday morning.  going to try it this time with either 150/75 ppm CaSO4/CaCl or 100ppm each this time.  lately I'm finding in my IPAs, I don't like the minerally character and over the top bite in the finish that I attribute to the high sulfate.  sort of reminds me of Bass Ale and I don't like Bass Ale.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #771 on: February 12, 2016, 08:55:12 am »
brewing my house IPA early sunday morning.  going to try it this time with either 150/75 ppm CaSO4/CaCl or 100ppm each this time.  lately I'm finding in my IPAs, I don't like the minerally character and over the top bite in the finish that I attribute to the high sulfate.  sort of reminds me of Bass Ale and I don't like Bass Ale.
I'm with ya on that. I think that IPA's where you are pushing the flavor and aroma hops more than bitterness do just fine in the 150 ppm SO4 range. I think that's enough sulfate to clear your palate on the finish without getting that mineral bite.

I've actually been brewing a lot of my IPA's as extract-only beers without any mineral additions lately. My whirlpool is long enough as it is, so it's a nice time saver not to have to mash and to be able to have a very short boil.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #772 on: February 12, 2016, 10:02:24 am »
I'm with ya on that. I think that IPA's where you are pushing the flavor and aroma hops more than bitterness do just fine in the 150 ppm SO4 range. I think that's enough sulfate to clear your palate on the finish without getting that mineral bite.

I've actually been brewing a lot of my IPA's as extract-only beers without any mineral additions lately. My whirlpool is long enough as it is, so it's a nice time saver not to have to mash and to be able to have a very short boil.

+2.  I've been backing off too. I just brewed an IPA with 180 sulfate/60 chloride (a lower sulfate count than I've used in a while on APA and IPA) and the sample still had a bit of the minerally bite. I'm going 150 or less next time.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #773 on: February 12, 2016, 12:13:01 pm »
+3 on sulfate reduction. my last was 160ishPPM and just great IMO.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #774 on: February 12, 2016, 12:19:36 pm »
Random snow day off of teaching today.  Kegged my munich helles and tapped into my vienna lager. Should be a good weekend.

+2.  I've been backing off too. I just brewed an IPA with 180 sulfate/60 chloride (a lower sulfate count than I've used in a while on APA and IPA) and the sample still had a bit of the minerally bite. I'm going 150 or less next time.
[/quote]

What about for a traditional ESB regarding sulfate levels?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #775 on: February 12, 2016, 12:21:45 pm »
Very interesting feedback regarding sulfate amounts. I have always been advised to push it above 200 ppm for a pale ale and 300 ppm for an IPA. I think I used about 225 ppm in my current pale ale. I will have to pay closer attention to the mineral flavor going forward.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #776 on: February 12, 2016, 12:24:12 pm »
Very interesting feedback regarding sulfate amounts. I have always been advised to push it above 200 ppm for a pale ale and 300 ppm for an IPA. I think I used about 225 ppm in my current pale ale. I will have to pay closer attention to the mineral flavor going forward.

yep we all were. for me, the change in hop deployment (all late, and or all post boil) changed the game for me.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline blatz

« Reply #777 on: February 12, 2016, 12:25:11 pm »

yeah I think a lot of us have promoted that at some point in posts.  I just started really noticed a flavor trend in my hoppy beers that I wasnt' happy with and I suspect its the sulfate.  it is somewhat reassuring that other brewers for whom I have respect are drawing the same conclusions.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #778 on: February 12, 2016, 12:34:57 pm »
Random snow day off of teaching today.  Kegged my munich helles and tapped into my vienna lager. Should be a good weekend.

What about for a traditional ESB regarding sulfate levels?
[/quote]
If you like the sulfate bite, then go for it. I brewed an Old Peculier clone a while back and stuck with the brewer's recommendation of ~325 ppm sulfate (it was actually supposed to be 400ppm, but I dialed it back a bit), and I'm kicking myself because it turned out great except for the minerality along with a hint of Burton snatch. I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like that much sulfate. YMMV depending on your tastes.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #779 on: February 12, 2016, 12:43:41 pm »
Personally I think an ESB can take a little bit of minerally character, given its balanced profile (ie.,  far less hop character).  But I'm enjoying the sulfate bite a little less on beers with a big hop load. I want a firm malt base for a big hop schedule, and the higher sulfate levels seem to mute the malt base down more than I want. Gonna keep reducing until the minerally bite just disappears and then call it good.
Jon H.