Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 315443 times)

Offline Megary

• Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3555 on: December 17, 2021, 11:30:17 am »
Looks good. I see you are pitching two yeasts. Let us know how it comes out.

Pitching two strains was out of necessity. I wanted to use -04 but didn’t get a new pack. So, I rummaged thru my yeast stash and the cleanest Ale yeast I found was Nottingham. I only used 3 grams because I found I had 9 grams of -04.

What...no BRY-97?   ;)
I use BRY-97 in my Stout, though I call it American and not Irish, so as not to offend.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3556 on: December 17, 2021, 11:34:47 am »

Pitching two strains was out of necessity. I wanted to use -04 but didn’t get a new pack. So, I rummaged thru my yeast stash and the cleanest Ale yeast I found was Nottingham. I only used 3 grams because I found I had 9 grams of -04.

What...no BRY-97?   ;)
I use BRY-97 in my Stout, though I call it American and not Irish, so as not to offend.
That was an option. I have plenty on hand. .

Mine is probably more American than Irish but I don’t get too hung up on that stuff. I might try Bry-97 in next year’s Stout.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3557 on: December 17, 2021, 11:57:17 am »

What...no BRY-97?   ;)

there is an MBAA podcast about guinness yeast. and apparently it has a significant portion of its DNA (?) from neither continental, english or american yeasts, suggesting it may actually be at least partially a native irish yeast. it came about via the common practice of breweries in a city passing yeast back and forth (dublin), and guinness invested heavily in yeast technology early in the 20th century, so they actually currently use a source that is many decades old even for current guinness (not a guinness fanboy, though i think its alright - just interested in the history).

i actually used the omega version of irish ale this year, and i thought it was.. well. fine. its a good yeast, i could imagine using it again at some point. though i overshot OG, made several other decisions that prevented me from really hitting a guinness clone this time.

Offline Megary

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3558 on: December 17, 2021, 12:08:28 pm »

What...no BRY-97?   ;)

there is an MBAA podcast about guinness yeast. and apparently it has a significant portion of its DNA (?) from neither continental, english or american yeasts, suggesting it may actually be at least partially a native irish yeast. it came about via the common practice of breweries in a city passing yeast back and forth (dublin), and guinness invested heavily in yeast technology early in the 20th century, so they actually currently use a source that is many decades old even for current guinness (not a guinness fanboy, though i think its alright - just interested in the history).

i actually used the omega version of irish ale this year, and i thought it was.. well. fine. its a good yeast, i could imagine using it again at some point. though i overshot OG, made several other decisions that prevented me from really hitting a guinness clone this time.
I make a lot of Stouts and have used many different yeasts, but once I landed on Bry-97 my search was over.  It gives me the perfect level of dryness that I'm looking for.  May seem strange to some, but this Stout is one of my favorite session beers.
Maybe I should just drop the nationality and call it a Dry Stout.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3559 on: December 17, 2021, 01:22:12 pm »

I make a lot of Stouts and have used many different yeasts, but once I landed on Bry-97 my search was over.  It gives me the perfect level of dryness that I'm looking for.  May seem strange to some, but this Stout is one of my favorite session beers.
Maybe I should just drop the nationality and call it a Dry Stout.

absolutely, i think when it comes to styles that have very strong flavours like stout/porters, the yeast usually (yes, i know.. not always) takes a back seat. i was trying to say that if i tried to improve that dry stout i made last time, yeast would be the last concern.

good news about bry97, i need to use it more often.

wow, just checked my homebrew supply order. surprise, my delivery that normally takes 36-48 hours max is now scheduled for end of day monday. wth? i cheaped out and didnt purchase a yeast pack. this is going to be bad.

Offline Fire Rooster

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3560 on: December 26, 2021, 08:57:24 am »
AG Batch #67, 5 gal (Volume in Fermenter)

8 lbs MG Vienna
1/2 lb MG Rye

60 min Mash
60 min Boil

40 Min = 28g, HD Williamette Leaf (6.6AA)
20 Min = 28g, HD Williamette Leaf
10 min = 1/2 t Wyeast Yeast Nutrient

3 weeks @ 58f, 2 pks W-34/70 rehydrated, then bottled
3 weeks @ 75f, bottle Condition-Carb
3 weeks @ 60f
3 days fridge
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 03:39:56 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3561 on: December 26, 2021, 09:16:52 am »
Bree mg my Amarillo IPA called Amarillo's Revenge today.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified
AHA Governing Committee Member

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3562 on: December 27, 2021, 05:57:59 pm »
It’s not the weekend, but I have the week off from work. I managed to bottle the annual American Barleywine today and tomorrow I plan on making a stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3563 on: December 29, 2021, 05:21:19 pm »
Golden Stout
68% Pilsner
17% Munich I
8% toasted flaked oats
4% golden naked oats
3% amber malt

Warrior at 60 to 24 ibu

US-05

Whole bean coffee and cacao nibs in the fermenter once fg has been reached.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3564 on: December 31, 2021, 02:56:15 pm »
My kid tested positive a few days ago, and my wife is off her feet for 6 weeks recovering from ankle surgery,  so I'm stuck home tonight for NYE. Decided that I might as well get a batch in.

3 gallon batch:

4.2 lbs Vienna Malt
2 lbs Flaked Corn

27 IBU Mt Rainier @60 minutes
20g Mt Rainier at flameout

1 liter starter of WY1762 stepped up from some keg dregs

I'm going to ferment this in the coolest corner of my basement, so maybe 56ish ambient temp. Time to see if I can get lager-clean ferments out of the Abby II strain.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #3565 on: January 01, 2022, 07:53:04 am »
Brewing an oatmeal stout in my Mash & Boil, loosely based on BeerWreckdus Oatmeal Stout. First time using WY1728.

Two new process items: 1) using a locking ratchet pulley to hoist the grain basket, and 2) managing fermentation temp with an Inkbird ITC-308 WiFi temp controller. I ran through the hoisting process yesterday and I have been testing the Inkbird for four days, using my fermentation fridge and a William's Brewing heater.  It rarely gets below freezing here, but it gets cold enough to make fermentation temps uneven at night during the winter. I already had the heater and the Inkbird was on sale, so this was not a spendy upgrade.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Online jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3566 on: January 01, 2022, 02:33:24 pm »
Today I brewed a Northern English Brown Ale inspired by Cigar City’s Maduro Brown Ale.  I made 10 gallons of 1.055 wort, which is a little stronger than I wanted, but OK.  BRY-97 harvested from the last batch.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Online tommymorris

« Reply #3567 on: January 03, 2022, 02:14:07 pm »
Willamette, Great Western Premium Two Row, Verdant IPA smash. 1045 OG. 35 IBU. This beer is a derivation of a Timothy Taylor Landlord clone I brewed before. But, the recipe has drifted enough I think it’s better to call it a smash at this point.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3568 on: January 04, 2022, 07:21:05 am »
Brewing my Imperial Stout that will; be aged on Crown Royal soaked oak chip this weekend.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified
AHA Governing Committee Member

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3569 on: January 05, 2022, 05:02:14 pm »
I am reworking a kolsch style beer from a recipe I brewed a few years back before I started brewing czech lagers. I only brewed it 3 times and I guess I didn't really care that much for it.

17 gallon fermenter/15 gallons kegged

RO Water, Soft Water Profile I use for my Czech Lager.
65% Pale
32.5% Bohemian Pilsner
2.4% Acid Malt
Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @ 75/60/30/15/0  24 IBU's
WY2565 ferment @ 58 and raise slowly to 67 over 5 days and let finish to est. 1.008