Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Frozen Yeast  (Read 1841 times)

Offline twopumpsandimsorry

• Cellarman
Frozen Yeast
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:15:06 am »
I have quite a few yeast samples in my garage fridge (conan, ommegang etc), just realized with the cold snap many likely froze. Are these toast? or should i toss one in a starter and see what happens?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:28:44 am by dbeechum »
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Frozen Yeast
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:42 am »
I have quite a few yeast samples in my garage fridge (conan, ommegang etc), just realized with the cold snap many likely froze. Are these toast? or should i toss one in a starter and see what happens?

As long as you're making starters with them, you'll probably be fine.  Freezing might have killed some but not all so the starter route is the way to go.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:29:02 am by dbeechum »
Joe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Frozen Yeast
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:42:50 am »

As long as you're making starters with them, you'll probably be fine.  Freezing might have killed some but not all so the starter route is the way to go.

you might even want to step up a couple times if you think they actually froze. start small, like 100ml and pitch the result into 1000ml and then that into 2000 and that into a 5 gallon batch. or go from 1000ml to a 5 gallon batch of small beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce