Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: VERY BITTER FLAVOR  (Read 5388 times)

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
Re: VERY BITTER FLAVOR
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 06:24:05 am »
I have a RO system installed in my house, since I'm doing extract full 5 gallon boil (never top off batch with cold water) would RO water be OK?  For all grain I understand we my have mashing complications.
Are you using all extract or are you including specialty grains like crystal/caramel, chocolate or black malts or roasted barley?  Liquid or dry extracts?  After bottling, what temp are you keeping your bottles at to carbonate?  What do you use to carbonate?  How is your carbonation level?

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 06:32:45 am »
One of the things I read before I started my first brew is that hard water is better for flavor. Would any of the more experienced guys agree with this or disagree? Would that even be relavent to the bitter taste?

Hard water indicates high levels of calcium and magnesium (not the same as high alkalinity).  Biggest issue with hardness is that you want generally between 50 and 100 ppm calcium for good fermentation and protein flocculation in an all grain brew.  Too much hardness can be an issue but that's not likely in asu's situation. 

Gail

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 09:34:58 am »
One of the things I read before I started my first brew is that hard water is better for flavor. Would any of the more experienced guys agree with this or disagree? Would that even be relavent to the bitter taste?

Not always, but on some styles.  If your water has high levels of sulfate, it will accentuate the hop bitterness.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 09:37:02 am »
Piching rates...smack pack, sometimes a starter if it is high gravity.  What exactly do they mean when your starter should be 2 liters?  Is that before decanting or do you pitch 2 liters?  I'm reading this from Homebrewers-Bible.  Very frustrated ready to quit...6 batch ruined since January...can't solve! 

If that's the book I think it is, get rid of it.  The absolute best book out there is John Palmer's "How to Brew".    Also, I make a starter for every beer....my experience is that every beer I make a starter for has been better than any beer I haven't.  I make 2-3 qt. starters and decant before pitching.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 09:43:43 am »
Piching rates...smack pack, sometimes a starter if it is high gravity.  What exactly do they mean when your starter should be 2 liters?  Is that before decanting or do you pitch 2 liters?  I'm reading this from Homebrewers-Bible.  Very frustrated ready to quit...6 batch ruined since January...can't solve! 

If that's the book I think it is, get rid of it.  The absolute best book out there is John Palmer's "How to Brew".    Also, I make a starter for every beer....my experience is that every beer I make a starter for has been better than any beer I haven't.  I make 2-3 qt. starters and decant before pitching.

+1

Proper pitching rates are a fundamental part of the brewing process. I always make a starter and/or use a yeast cake.

I still think you need to have your water tested at least to understand what you are starting out with and then go from there as far as adjustments and the like.

Good Luck.
Ron Price

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 07:15:03 am »
From the original post, I agree with HamiltonT... it sounds like Fusel Alcohol.  But, is that because of fermentation temperature or is the Asu making big beers?  If he's making big beers then all he may need to do is let it condition, I know my big beers have been harsher in alcohol until they have sat long enough... and that depends on how big the original gravity was on each batch.  Anyway... just a thought.

High sulfate to chloride ratio will definitely increase the hop bitterness.