Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold crash/ late hop additons  (Read 1893 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Cold crash/ late hop additons
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:22:56 pm »
Considering adding an extra 3.5 grams of hop pellets (extra bag I had) into a one gallon batch. I pulled the batch out of the closet today and it's currently cold crashing in the refrigerator. Can I add the hops while cold crashing, or should I wait to cold crash after the fact?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Cold crash/ late hop additons
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:31:53 pm »
There's debate here on what temp to dry hop at. But is the beer really cold crashing (ie., ~ 32F) or more at serving temps, ie., ~ 40-45F ? I would not add hops to any beer at real cold crashing temps. Personally, I like to dry hop from 65 - 68F. Others here like to dry hop at serving temps. You'll have to experiment to find out what you like.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:34:29 pm »
More like serving temps.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:40:08 pm »
More like serving temps.

Well, you could try dry hopping at this temp for ~ a week.  Then the next time you brew something similar you could try dry hopping @ room temp - that way you could compare which one you prefer most. Have fun with it !
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 03:11:02 pm »
I'd wait.  I have found unpleasant interactions between yeast and hops.  Getting as much yeast as possible out of the beer first will help IMO.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 03:16:27 pm »
I'd wait.  I have found unpleasant interactions between yeast and hops.  Getting as much yeast as possible out of the beer first will help IMO.
The maverick batch has been hopped and is cooling...I like to live on the edge.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 03:52:02 pm »

I totally agree (and am sold on) letting the beer clear first Denny. It seemed that since he's cold conditioning that the beer was probably getting fairly clear.  Currently I'm letting the beer go ~ 3 weeks in primary then dry hopping in secondary.
Jon H.