Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No krausen  (Read 4950 times)

cornershot

No krausen
« on: January 19, 2014, 07:09:29 am »
I brewed the oatmeal stout from the January/February Zymurgy yesterday and pitched a 2L starter of wlp039 East Midlands ale yeast. It's about 20 hours after pitch and fermentation is quite active at 65f but there's no krausen. Just a few bubbles on top of the beer. This yeast is supposed to be a good top cropper. I'm not terribly worried but I've never had a beer with no krausen. Any thoughts?

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: No krausen
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 07:16:16 am »
RDWHAHB?  Take a sample and check the gravity?  It sounds strange to me but then lots of things int he beer world are strange to me ::)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 08:08:13 am »
I have been fermenting in either stainless conicals or 15 gallon sanke kegs and can't see krausen any more. can't remember the last time I stressed about what my krausen looks like. Been several years.

cornershot

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 08:10:55 am »
Not stressin' but I really wanted to top crop it!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 08:15:25 am »
Well, looks like yer out of luck. ;)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 08:19:11 am »
At 20 hours I would say relax and it should get krausen. Btw, did you use ferm cap at any point? That can reduce the amount of krausen that develops
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

cornershot

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 08:36:21 am »
At 20 hours I would say relax and it should get krausen. Btw, did you use ferm cap at any point? That can reduce the amount of krausen that develops
No ferm cap. Didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Everything was impeccably clean. I don't suppose 1.5# of oatmeal could have have krausen-inhibiting qualities?
For all you bucket and conical users, I have sincere pity that you can't witness the magic of fermentation visible only through a carboy. It's a beautiful thing to behold! ;D

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 08:39:21 am »
No ferm cap. Didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Everything was impeccably clean. I don't suppose 1.5# of oatmeal could have have krausen-inhibiting qualities?
For all you bucket and conical users, I have sincere pity that you can't witness the magic of fermentation visible only through a carboy. It's a beautiful thing to behold! ;D

I've made quite a few oatmeal stouts using ~ that amount of oats and had good krausen.  Never used that strain though.
Jon H.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 08:45:35 am »
Every once in a while, I have a batch that just doesn't have much of a krausen. No rhyme or reason, or any connection I can figure. Never had an issue with the end result, though. I assume you are using a glass carboy, so can you see the yeast swirling around? Is your airlock going nuts? If so, don't worry, and it'll probably be just fine.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

cornershot

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 09:05:17 am »
Every once in a while, I have a batch that just doesn't have much of a krausen. No rhyme or reason, or any connection I can figure. Never had an issue with the end result, though. I assume you are using a glass carboy, so can you see the yeast swirling around? Is your airlock going nuts? If so, don't worry, and it'll probably be just fine.
Yes, I'm using glass. The airlock is bubbling furiously and the yeast are doing their dance, rising and falling, spinning and churning, ebbing and flowing in an orgy of consumption and reproduction... it's like Woodstock in there, man! I wonder if they'd like some music?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 09:28:33 am »
Good music works wonders!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 10:07:49 am »
I wouldn't sweat it. Check back in 8-12 hours. You'll probably see some krausen pop up.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing