Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Roasting your own grain  (Read 2357 times)

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
Roasting your own grain
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:43:46 pm »
Now that I have my own mill I bought my 1st sack of grain the other day.  I picked up a 55 lb of Weyermann pilsner malt and would like to roast some of it.  I'm taking my advice on how to do it straight from Mosher's Radical Brewing.  I'd like to hear some opinions from others who have also done it.  I have about 4 lbs and probably going to make some pale gold, gold, and amber styles.  How strong of a flavor do they attribute and in what amounts?  Mosher suggests soaking the grains in water for about 2 hours for richer, maltier flavor as opposed to roasting dry making the malt sharper and dryer.  Has anyone done is both ways and which did you prefer?  And lastly, how does the roasting affect the color of the beer?

I may try my hand a making crystal at some point, but I want to see what kinds a flavor contributions I get from roasting first.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Re: Roasting your own grain
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:33:29 pm »
I have an old Zymurgy that has a great graph that shows Time on one axis and temp on another axis, while the graph shows what color you would get, and if you would still have enzymes.  Do you already have that information?
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:36:15 am »
I have done it a couple of times, 350° for 15 minutes for an ESB and 350° for an hour for a Mild.  These are two of my favorite beers I have brewed, and it really adds a nice distinct flavor to the brew.

This was my guide:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter20-4.html
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:34:34 am »
I suggest to get an air roast popcorn popper and go outside so you don;t smoke up your house. You will need to fabricate a screen to keep the grains from coming out. It works well though and you can actually get hotter than your oven and approach actual roast temps.

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 07:25:30 am »
I have an old Zymurgy that has a great graph that shows Time on one axis and temp on another axis, while the graph shows what color you would get, and if you would still have enzymes.  Do you already have that information?

I do not have that information.  Do you happen to know what issue it was?  I'm thinking I could order it if it is still around.  My only source of info was from Mosher's Radical Brewing.  It varies a quite a bit from what Palmer suggests in his book.  I ended up making 1 pound of Pale Gold, 1 pound of Copper, and 2 pounds of Gold.  All of the grains were soaked in cold water for 2 hours prior to roasting.  I'm kind of lost for ideas on how to really use it now.  I'm thinking the Copper will be good in a nut brown, the pale gold in a pale ale and the gold for a bitter or american amber.  Any thoughts?

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 09:56:04 pm »
It's a really old issue: Volume 11, No. 2 (Summer 1988).  Maybe someone from the AHA can scan it and post it on this website?  It's on page 43.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 11:12:45 pm »
I roast nearly all my own. Here is a good starting point:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter20-4.html
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee