Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: braukaiser wiki is down  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
braukaiser wiki is down
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:28:04 am »
I don't know what changed but I'm suddenly getting an error when I try to acess my site (http://braukaiser.com/wiki/).

I guess I finally have to update the wiki software and/or try to understand how it works. I was hoping that I would never have to deal with that kind of maintenance stuff but my hosting company support team says it's a coding error. I hope to have it up and running again within the next few days.

Kai

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Re: braukaiser wiki is down
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 08:02:08 am »
If you didn't change anything, they did. Updating to a new version of PHP, whatever. "Coding error" to them means the code throws an error, it's not a statement of causality. Well, they might think it is, but the point is you should push them to find out what they changed.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 08:19:12 am »
Northeast region of the NHBC closed
My basement is getting about 300 gallons of water every 15-20 minutes
Now this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously Kai, I hope everything can get straightened out soon, its a great resource and the time you spent on it is much appreciated by the many who reference it.

How did the brew day go Saturday?
Wished I could have made it this year.

You ready for a Pils and a Doppelbock care package?
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:26:20 am »
Northeast region of the NHBC closed

You should just make that your signature.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 08:46:11 am »
If you didn't change anything, they did. Updating to a new version of PHP, whatever. "Coding error" to them means the code throws an error, it's not a statement of causality. Well, they might think it is, but the point is you should push them to find out what they changed.

Yes, that's what I thought too. The problem must have persisted for a few days. I have been swamped with other work and had little time to spend on this problem or writing something sicne the last article. Part of me thinks that something had to have changed on the hosting end and another part of me thinks that this is a good opportunity for me to get a better understanding of the underlying software since I had been thinking about updating to a newer Wikimedia version anyway to make use of some of the newer features.

Kai

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 08:52:06 am »
Well, you've inspired me to go check my sites, which are down as well. You wouldn't happen to be using WebHost4Life, would you?
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 03:37:32 pm »
Our Club web site & forum have been down all day too.  They're hosted by Dreamhost.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 03:49:11 pm »
No, I use HostGo and they have been very helpful in the past. Right now they have a senior admin look into this issue why it suddenly started failing.

Kai

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 09:04:56 am »
I'm taking the plunge and install the new wiki software. The systeam could not find anything wrong. I'm looking forward to this as it should enable me to do a few more nice things like working tables with wiki format and a central place for my literature references.

Kai

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 06:55:35 pm »
I got it back up. installing a new wiki software was easier than I thought. I did some spot checking and it seems to work just as before.

Kai

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 07:29:31 am »
The brewing world breathes a sigh of relief. Glad you got it worked out. You've inspired me to do some spring cleaning on my web properties as well - I think I'm going to start a brewing website for folks who want to learn how to brew like a hillbilly.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 07:51:36 am »
I think I'm going to start a brewing website for folks who want to learn how to brew like a hillbilly.

That sounds like a really fun project.

Getting a spam filter on my blog would be nice so I can enable comments again. I had to disable them b/c of excessive spamming.

Kai