Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast left at 80 degrees for 3 days after FG reached - problem?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline andrewczarniak

• 1st Kit
Yeast left at 80 degrees for 3 days after FG reached - problem?
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:09:51 pm »
I'm fermenting a porter with Wyeast 1084 (irish ale).  I left it in primary, and after reaching FG, I accidentally left it at 80 degrees F for 3 days.  Realizing my mistake, I threw it in the fridge to crash it, and plan on legging it in the next day or two. 

I haven't checked the gravity or tasted it yet, but I'm worried what short and long term implications this may have.  Anyone have an answer or similar experience to share?

The mistake happened when I switched from a blowoff tube to airlock.  In the process, I removed the stopper to clean it, and when I reinstalled, I forgot to stick the temperature controller probe down the hole.  Since my garage is usually well below the fermentation temp, the heat wrap was on pretty much solid for 3 days. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Yeast left at 80 degrees for 3 days after FG reached - problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:34:29 pm »
I think it'll be fine. the fermentation was over, you're not going to get off flavours from the yeast because of this. You might have shortened the shelf life of your beer be a couple days/weeks but it's not going to last that long right?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 02:45:56 pm »
You gotta taste it to tell. Don't be skeert to do a quality check!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:49:35 pm »
I know someone who let his beer get up to 90-ish with a similar mistake - no problems.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline andrewczarniak

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 03:40:35 pm »
Thanks for the responses, I definitely don't anticipate the bulk of this batch lasting very long, and any bottles will be stored as cold as possible.  I'll report back in a few months if any issues develop.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 08:04:51 pm »
Most big breweries bottle condition beers in 80+ weather with no ill effect, you should be cool  8)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 08:39:39 am »
My fermenting space in my house normally gets up to almost 80F during the summer (which here in Texas runs half the year or more). Anything that isn't in the midst of primary fermentation moves out of the fermentation fridge into the ambient environment. I have had a lot of beer sit in that cleanup period around 80F. It's fine. It might even be helpful. If FG is reached then the yeast are just involved in cleaning up their waste and an increased temperature will push them to work faster.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 04:20:37 pm »
It will be just fine.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 05:18:54 pm »
Well did you do a taste test? IMO you'll see it immediately if there is a problem. If it were off the yeast already I'd be 100% with the others. Taaaste it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis