Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Financials  (Read 11754 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: AHA Financials
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 07:11:25 pm »
Posting information online costs almost nothing to do.  I just don't care to know, even if it was posted online.

AHA - keep up the good work and realize that discussion is just that - not an indictment in any way.  I have few memberships that give me so much for so little.

+1. I feel the same.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2014, 07:38:47 pm »
And I am one cheap SOB - I have references on that!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2014, 08:57:19 am »
I just found this, which has plenty of detail about what the AHA and governing committee are working on that doesn't benefit members directly. Far more information than most people would want.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0001/6518/AHAGC_subcom_report_2013.pdf

No financials, but it does mention that the conference has been profitable since 2007. If someone were questioning that though, I'd have two points. 1- As mentioned before, it should be somewhat profitable or it would die. It's impossible to run a perfectly break even conference and AHA needs to err on the black side. 2- I'm sure registrations alone do not make it profitable. Lots of companies pay (good money I'm sure) to sponsor the conference.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2014, 09:12:58 am »
No financials, but it does mention that the conference has been profitable since 2007. If someone were questioning that though, I'd have two points. 1- As mentioned before, it should be somewhat profitable or it would die. It's impossible to run a perfectly break even conference and AHA needs to err on the black side. 2- I'm sure registrations alone do not make it profitable. Lots of companies pay (good money I'm sure) to sponsor the conference.

I certainly hope no one is out there suggesting that the AHA or any similar organization should not operate in the black.   Being a "not-for-profit" does not mean that they do not have a need to follow basic business principles and seek to remain a going concern.  I'd be concerned about paying dues to an organization that is failing not to one that is growing successfully and achieving results (such as legalization bills) as the AHA is doing.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2014, 09:20:13 am »

I certainly hope no one is out there suggesting that the AHA or any similar organization should not operate in the black.   Being a "not-for-profit" does not mean that they do not have a need to follow basic business principles and seek to remain a going concern.  I'd be concerned about paying dues to an organization that is failing not to one that is growing successfully and achieving results (such as legalization bills) as the AHA is doing.
All kinds of people out here. But I think 99% agree, including me.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2014, 11:19:50 am »
I would like to see the AHA financials. Not because I think anything is wrong but I think it is important for the membership to know where our money goes.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2014, 04:52:22 am »
An annual financial report should be available. Having said that, I'm not interested in reading it.

Regarding NHC being profitable. I'm glad it is. If I were a member who had never been to NHC, and part of my membership was going to keep NHC going, I'd eventually be reluctant to keep paying. But as it is, the opposite seems to be true. People who go to NHC seem to be subsidizing my membership.

By the way, I will get to NHC eventually. Hopefully next year.

Offline dixonmike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2014, 01:13:45 pm »
I don't see anything wrong with providing a very easy to find list of accomplishments for the year. It would actually be beneficial. It's common practice for non-profits. It should be right off the main landing page.

With that being said, I value my membership. That doesn't mean we can't do a better job communicating what our organization has done besides general mission statements.

Offline tress

• Cellarman
  • Drink Great Beer
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2014, 05:45:35 am »
An annual financial report should be available. Having said that, I'm not interested in reading it.

Regarding NHC being profitable. I'm glad it is. If I were a member who had never been to NHC, and part of my membership was going to keep NHC going, I'd eventually be reluctant to keep paying. But as it is, the opposite seems to be true. People who go to NHC seem to be subsidizing my membership.

By the way, I will get to NHC eventually. Hopefully next year.

+1
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution." - Dan Castellaneta

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2014, 08:27:16 am »
I work for a non profit that underwent some major changes a few years back. Angry people left and happy people stayed and the institution is much stronger and stable now. That's not to say that the AHA couldn't be improved by providing better or more info
. Probably just because that's almost always the healthiest thing for an organization to do.
BTW this thread is a good example of people on this site disagreeing in a constructive way IMO.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2014, 10:54:56 am »

BTW this thread is a good example of people on this site disagreeing in a constructive way IMO.

Agreed.  If you are an old fart like me, you will remember the Cathy Ewing days.  That was not pretty.

narvin

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2014, 11:56:39 am »
Wow... I had no idea things go so contentious in the 90s.

http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/2753.html#2753-15

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2014, 12:44:09 pm »

Now THAT is a Godwin!
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2014, 01:37:35 pm »

That was a blast from the past.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2014, 02:52:57 pm »
Yeah, whenever we do our history retrospective and our future planning I always make sure to point out that the AHA wasn't always beloved and did a lot of things that pissed people off.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison