Author Topic: AHA Financials  (Read 1503 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: AHA Financials
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2014, 09:19:39 AM »
I agree that it probably won't change the minds of these people... Many of them are seemingly irrationally angry about changes the AHA has gone through.  But I think it could benefit potential new members who hear all the negative things but maybe not as much positive things about the AHA... Just food for thought it all.  I really just figured it already existed and I could just brush up on it... But then I couldn't find much info.

I actually agree with what you seem to be suggesting.  I'm just not as optimistic as others that such effort will bear much fruit in terms of swaying the irrationally angry you mention.  But some more details can't hurt.

I recall reading a HBT thread last month re: the 6-entry limit and limiting entries to AHA members.  There are clearly some non-AHA members who think they make up a sizeable portion of the entries, when people like Tom have stated repeatedly that they are a very small number.  Perhaps giving the actual number of non-AHA member entries would show that the change some have made a big deal about isn't much of a change at all - details.

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster General
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »
Perhaps giving the actual number of non-AHA member entries would show that the change some have made a big deal about isn't much of a change at all - details.

If i remember from Janis last year - non-AHA member entries made up less than 1% of all the entries in the competition. (Somewhere around 70)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2014, 09:46:12 AM »
It sounds like what Dan is looking for is a limited form of an annual report.

I get these from my investments, but not from the charities I donate to (I recognize that the AHA is neither a charity nor a corporation).  I don't belong to any other professional-type organizations so I don't know what sort of annual reporting they provide to members.

I doubt that someone who has their shorts in a twist about NHC or whatever will get un-twisted by looking at an annual report anyway.  They're likely to find some line-item they object to and get further twisted up.

This is not the first time the "what does the AHA do with my membership dollars" issue has come up.  Maybe it makes sense to provide some sort of limited annual report to membership?  It can't hurt, right?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Online dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2014, 09:49:35 AM »
It sounds like what Dan is looking for is a limited form of an annual report.

I get these from my investments, but not from the charities I donate to (I recognize that the AHA is neither a charity nor a corporation).  I don't belong to any other professional-type organizations so I don't know what sort of annual reporting they provide to members.

I doubt that someone who has their shorts in a twist about NHC or whatever will get un-twisted by looking at an annual report anyway.  They're likely to find some line-item they object to and get further twisted up.

This is not the first time the "what does the AHA do with my membership dollars" issue has come up.  Maybe it makes sense to provide some sort of limited annual report to membership?  It can't hurt, right?

Well I mentioned the NHC because at the moment that's what everyone has their panties in a bunch about.  I was also speaking with people that are not current AHA members and they were wondering the same sort of things before they joined... I think I probably BSed them about with the things I 'thought' the AHA did good enough.. but it would be nice to have some place to direct them for their answers... or maybe it would even prevent the question in the first place?
BJCP A0936 Certified Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
Malty Dogs Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Online HoosierBrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »

+1. 
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2014, 02:06:46 AM »
Political alert?

Anyway...

Right here's how I feel about this. I joined the AHA last year. Renewed last year too. Cheap cheap compared to the value of education I've received. I consider the magazine a super bonus freebie, AND I made the main article just about 14 months into my brewing career. So I must say, they recognize sheer genius. I'm kind of a big deal now. Most famous homebrewer on the block. But I rabbit trail...

Maybe the AHA ought to be run like an MC. Let the right people hang around a while, if they really fit in let the Prospect for a year or five, then if their lucky and sell their soul, they can be members. Lol

Bottom line, free country. Join, don't join, I don't care. To those who run this joint, thanks for all you do.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2014, 05:27:04 AM »
Political alert?

Anyway...

Right here's how I feel about this. I joined the AHA last year. Renewed last year too. Cheap cheap compared to the value of education I've received. I consider the magazine a super bonus freebie, AND I made the main article just about 14 months into my brewing career. So I must say, they recognize sheer genius. I'm kind of a big deal now. Most famous homebrewer on the block. But I rabbit trail...

Maybe the AHA ought to be run like an MC. Let the right people hang around a while, if they really fit in let the Prospect for a year or five, then if their lucky and sell their soul, they can be members. Lol

Bottom line, free country. Join, don't join, I don't care. To those who run this joint, thanks for all you do.

OMG its Klickitat Jim, Can i have your autograph mister?!?!    ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:17:23 PM by Jeff M »
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2014, 05:49:13 AM »
Just like the Beatles

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2014, 09:09:48 AM »
*Derail alert*

Jim, I missed entirely any mention of you in Zymurgy.  What issue and where?  Also, who's AHA Governing Committee campaign did you donate to?
Steve
"The purpose of an open mind is to shut it on something True." G.K. Chesterton

Online theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 09:35:28 AM »
*Derail alert*

Jim, I missed entirely any mention of you in Zymurgy.  What issue and where?  Also, who's AHA Governing Committee campaign did you donate to?

The last one...Gadgets with the Yoga Mat Thermowrap.

And I'd say all of the GC campaigns.  ;D
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club Member
https://www.facebook.com/SeacoastHomebrewClub
Stephen M.
------------------------------------------------

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 09:55:09 AM »
It's fairly common for interest groups/organizations to send out info about where the money goes, especially when they are raising dues and/or changing the rules to some of the member benefits. Sometimes you have to sell those changes to your membership. If members are grumpy because they don't feel like they are getting good value for their dues then that is good feedback that it's time for that sales pitch.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 10:35:08 AM »
[mod edit]

If you like a product buy it.  If you don't like a product don't buy it.  The choice is yours.  You can help determine the success or failure of an enterprise.  Vote with your dollars.

No one is forcing you to participate.

There you go getting your shorts in a bunch about people getting their shorts in a bunch.  It's a vicious circle.

But seriously, I understood the OP to be requesting more information about the product, not bashing it in anyway.  I don't think any of us on the forum (well most of us at least) feel that we're not getting our money's worth out of being members, but I also don't think a request for basic financials is out of line.  If it answers peoples questions, that's great and we have less b****ing.  If it makes people raise questions, that's their right as members isn't it?  I assume that there are reasonable answers to reasonable questions.

FWIW, if I received an AHA annual report I'd probably toss it into the recycling along with all the others.  But someone must read that stuff or they wouldn't print it, would they?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Online dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »
[mod edit]

If you like a product buy it.  If you don't like a product don't buy it.  The choice is yours.  You can help determine the success or failure of an enterprise.  Vote with your dollars.

There you go getting your shorts in a bunch about people getting their shorts in a bunch.  It's a vicious circle.

But seriously, I understood the OP to be requesting more information about the product, not bashing it in anyway.  I don't think any of us on the forum (well most of us at least) feel that we're not getting our money's worth out of being members, but I also don't think a request for basic financials is out of line.  If it answers peoples questions, that's great and we have less b****ing.  If it makes people raise questions, that's their right as members isn't it?  I assume that there are reasonable answers to reasonable questions.

FWIW, if I received an AHA annual report I'd probably toss it into the recycling along with all the others.  But someone must read that stuff or they wouldn't print it, would they?
Yes.  This.
BJCP A0936 Certified Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
Malty Dogs Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Online mtnrockhopper

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 06:18:13 PM »
[mod edit]

Yes.  This.
I agree. There's nothing wrong with members or potential members asking what goes on.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 07:06:57 PM »
Posting information online costs almost nothing to do.  I just don't care to know, even if it was posted online.

AHA - keep up the good work and realize that discussion is just that - not an indictment in any way.  I have few memberships that give me so much for so little.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"