Author Topic: AHA Financials  (Read 1322 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: AHA Financials
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »
Posting information online costs almost nothing to do.  I just don't care to know, even if it was posted online.

AHA - keep up the good work and realize that discussion is just that - not an indictment in any way.  I have few memberships that give me so much for so little.

+1. I feel the same.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2014, 07:38:47 PM »
And I am one cheap SOB - I have references on that!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »
I just found this, which has plenty of detail about what the AHA and governing committee are working on that doesn't benefit members directly. Far more information than most people would want.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0001/6518/AHAGC_subcom_report_2013.pdf

No financials, but it does mention that the conference has been profitable since 2007. If someone were questioning that though, I'd have two points. 1- As mentioned before, it should be somewhat profitable or it would die. It's impossible to run a perfectly break even conference and AHA needs to err on the black side. 2- I'm sure registrations alone do not make it profitable. Lots of companies pay (good money I'm sure) to sponsor the conference.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2014, 09:12:58 AM »
No financials, but it does mention that the conference has been profitable since 2007. If someone were questioning that though, I'd have two points. 1- As mentioned before, it should be somewhat profitable or it would die. It's impossible to run a perfectly break even conference and AHA needs to err on the black side. 2- I'm sure registrations alone do not make it profitable. Lots of companies pay (good money I'm sure) to sponsor the conference.

I certainly hope no one is out there suggesting that the AHA or any similar organization should not operate in the black.   Being a "not-for-profit" does not mean that they do not have a need to follow basic business principles and seek to remain a going concern.  I'd be concerned about paying dues to an organization that is failing not to one that is growing successfully and achieving results (such as legalization bills) as the AHA is doing.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline mtnrockhopper

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »

I certainly hope no one is out there suggesting that the AHA or any similar organization should not operate in the black.   Being a "not-for-profit" does not mean that they do not have a need to follow basic business principles and seek to remain a going concern.  I'd be concerned about paying dues to an organization that is failing not to one that is growing successfully and achieving results (such as legalization bills) as the AHA is doing.
All kinds of people out here. But I think 99% agree, including me.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline phunhog

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
I would like to see the AHA financials. Not because I think anything is wrong but I think it is important for the membership to know where our money goes.

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2014, 04:52:22 AM »
An annual financial report should be available. Having said that, I'm not interested in reading it.

Regarding NHC being profitable. I'm glad it is. If I were a member who had never been to NHC, and part of my membership was going to keep NHC going, I'd eventually be reluctant to keep paying. But as it is, the opposite seems to be true. People who go to NHC seem to be subsidizing my membership.

By the way, I will get to NHC eventually. Hopefully next year.