Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BeerSmith 2 & Inventory  (Read 3446 times)

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
BeerSmith 2 & Inventory
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:22 am »
Thinking about upgrading from 1.4 to whatever the latest version is.  Anybody using it?  I really would like it if when you brew something it automatically removes the ingredients you use from your inventory.  I have probably 175 lbs of grain and around 15 lbs of various hops and I don't always remember to remove what I use from my inventory after I brew.
Trey W.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: BeerSmith 2 & Inventory
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:11:53 am »
I got BeerSmith 2 for Christmas and I'm about to set up the inventory for the same reasons you stated.

From what I can tell, you can't see that on the mobile app (which would be very helpful) but at least I'll know what I got in stock. It's starting to turn into a homebrew shop down there...  ::)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:20:16 am »
Thinking about upgrading from 1.4 to whatever the latest version is.  Anybody using it?  I really would like it if when you brew something it automatically removes the ingredients you use from your inventory.  I have probably 175 lbs of grain and around 15 lbs of various hops and I don't always remember to remove what I use from my inventory after I brew.

There is a button (actually it was on the 1.0 version as well) called "remove from inventory" in the middle of the top menu bar.  does exactly what you are asking.

My problem has become forgetting (read: being lazy) to log in new ingredients as they are purchased....
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:22:00 am »
Ive been meaning to set up the BS2 inventory but that hop fridge is just to damn cold to stick my hands in for 10 minutes.  maybe come summer  ::)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:52:01 am »

There is a button (actually it was on the 1.0 version as well) called "remove from inventory" in the middle of the top menu bar.  does exactly what you are asking.

My problem has become forgetting (read: being lazy) to log in new ingredients as they are purchased....

Or not thinking and double clicking the button.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline jeffjm

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:26:57 pm »
Even if you click the 'Mark as brewed' button the appropriate number of times, there are some other potential problems that can bite you if you're not careful.

Several times, the 'Mark as brewed' button gave me fits because it thought I didn't have the ingredients in the recipe on hand. Usually it's because I  had slightly different  varieties specified, like 'Hallertauer Mittelfrueh' in recipe vs. 'Hallertauer' in inventory, or 'Pilsner (Weyermann)' in inventory instead of 'Pilsner (2 row) Ger'.  When Beersmith complains that I don't have enough of an ingredient in stock, I'm never sure if it correctly decreased the amounts of the other ingredients, and I have to manually adjust what was actually in inventory. After hitting that problem about three times in two months, I gave up using the inventory feature.
I set out running but I take my time.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 01:58:33 pm »
Even if you click the 'Mark as brewed' button the appropriate number of times, there are some other potential problems that can bite you if you're not careful.

Several times, the 'Mark as brewed' button gave me fits because it thought I didn't have the ingredients in the recipe on hand. Usually it's because I  had slightly different  varieties specified, like 'Hallertauer Mittelfrueh' in recipe vs. 'Hallertauer' in inventory, or 'Pilsner (Weyermann)' in inventory instead of 'Pilsner (2 row) Ger'.  When Beersmith complains that I don't have enough of an ingredient in stock, I'm never sure if it correctly decreased the amounts of the other ingredients, and I have to manually adjust what was actually in inventory. After hitting that problem about three times in two months, I gave up using the inventory feature.

but that's not a problem with the software. that's user error. if you entered your inventory differently than the recipe you can't really expect the software to get it right. no software will be able to do that.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline wv_brewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 08:13:31 am »
I was thinking about reestablishing my inventory in BS as well.  I have the same problem remembering to remove inventory after a brew session or not remembering if I have already done it. 

The software should have something that tells you whether you have removed the items from inventory already or not.  That would be very helpful.  I "try" to move my completed brews to a separate folder and remove the items from inventory at the same time but I am rarely successful.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:30:08 pm »
I love the inventory feature. I especially like being able to limit choices when designing to what I have on hand

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 02:09:41 pm »
I was thinking about reestablishing my inventory in BS as well.  I have the same problem remembering to remove inventory after a brew session or not remembering if I have already done it. 

The software should have something that tells you whether you have removed the items from inventory already or not.  That would be very helpful.  I "try" to move my completed brews to a separate folder and remove the items from inventory at the same time but I am rarely successful.

I agree it would be nice if there was a "flag" indicating if inventory had been issued or not. One of the very last notations I make on my "Brew Notes" is the date that I "Removed Inventory". If there is no note, I know I still need to.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 05:19:28 pm »
I believe at some point he added a feature where you couldn't remove from inventory more than once because people would forget if they had and would double/triple remove things.  So I'm guessing there is an internal flag, maybe if you rewqurest Brad would make it visible

Offline jeffjm

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 11:53:04 am »

but that's not a problem with the software. that's user error. if you entered your inventory differently than the recipe you can't really expect the software to get it right. no software will be able to do that.

Agreed, there's no way for the software to work around this situation, but it's an easy mistake to make, especially if you brew the same recipes frequently and one day you switch suppliers. I'm just holding myself up as an example of what NOT to do  ;)

I set out running but I take my time.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 11:54:36 am »

Agreed, there's no way for the software to work around this situation, but it's an easy mistake to make, especially if you brew the same recipes frequently and one day you switch suppliers. I'm just holding myself up as an example of what NOT to do  ;)

gotcha, it would certainly seem like a reasonably simple mod to add a little flag to each item on the recipe to indicate if it has been removed from inventory but I have not seen the database behind the curtain so I hesitate to say that for sure.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce