Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cleaning the wort chiller  (Read 1358 times)

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
cleaning the wort chiller
« on: January 23, 2014, 05:25:49 am »
I've been reading the topic on cleaning the SS wort kettle.  What is the best procedure for cleaning the copper immersion wort chiller?  And, is there any problem with leaving the wort chiller in the kettle for the entire boil?
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: cleaning the wort chiller
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 05:43:18 am »
"Best" is always a relative term.  I normally rinse the coils with hot tap water immediately after removing it from the cooled wort.  Then I hang it upside down over a floor drain to drain all the water out.  I inspect it for chunks, tree leaves and bumblebee bodies and walk away.  If for some reason it starts to develop a layer of something on it I will give it a short soak in StarSan or PBW (whatever I have mixed at that moment). 

There are no issues, chemically, with leaving it in the whole boil.  My chiller interferes with how the wort moves and may have a slight affect on hop utilization.  Although that effect would be very small.  It is mostly just a PITA to work around so I drop it in with the Irish Moss at 15 min.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:48:06 am »
I put it in the BK after runnings are measured. It comes out after CIP with PBW

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:17:28 am »
This thread talks about cleaning chillers. From CFC to IC. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=17949
Trey W.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:07:11 am »
Hot liquid is the best way to sanitize it, because heat will penetrate any crevices or bits of missed gunk. Other than that, a good rinse after use to remove sugars and trub. As long as its visually clean when you put it in the boil, you're good to go.

I think getting in the way is the only reason not to have it in the whole boil. And 5 minutes in boiling wort is plenty of time to sterilize it. So longer is neither better or worse.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958