Author Topic: Brewer Bio: Colin Presby  (Read 770 times)

Offline Colin Presby

• 1st Kit
  • Colin Presby
    • View Profile
    • Presby for AHA Governing Committee
Brewer Bio: Colin Presby
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:13:06 PM »
Who Are You (please include a picture):  Colin Presby

Home Town (City, State):  Reading, PA   
Homebrew Club: Berks County Homebrew Club, Co-Founder and President
I've been a homebrewer since:  2006
What is your favorite style(s) to brew? Porter
What style(s) will you never brew? Light Lager
What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out?
The first beer I brewed by myself was an extract kit based Oatmeal Stout.  It was fantastic at first, but as it aged, it developed an infection and became completely undrinkable.
What is your favorite beer recipe? Wooltown Porter
Describe your brew system.   My brew system is a three vessel, converted keg, system with two burners and two pumps.  One of the burners heats liquor and the other is used for the boil kettle.  Mashing is done in the third keg and is typically done by single infusion.  I chill using a plate chiller, frequently with a pre-chiller during summer months.
What is your favorite malt?  Why?  Thomas Fawcett’s Marris Otter.  I like the malty complexity it adds to most beer styles.
What is your favorite hop? Why?  Fuggles. I enjoy the earthy character it brings to a beer and I really enjoy drinking British pub styles
Do you have a good homebrew club story you'd like to share? I teach homebrewing at the Googleworks Center for the Arts in Reading, PA and one of the workspaces in the building is a hot glass blowing studio.  I was able to arrange for my club to have access to the studio where, with some guidance, we all had the opportunity to blow our own beer glasses.  The brewers in my club are really creative and made everything from belgian-style tulip glasses to tall, narrow, straight sided pilsner glasses, and everything in between.
If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him? Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper, and my house porter (Wooltown porter, see above) because of his work with breweries as a vehicle for urban revitalization.
What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew?
Malt that I took to a local butcher and had him smoke for me.  It was around 4 lbs of Maris Otter and he smoked it over some type of fruit wood (apple or cherry, I can’t remember).  I called the recipe “Sir Bacon, a Bacon Brown Ale” and served it at a friends wedding. It was a big hit!
Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients?
No, but I have had two commercial beers named after pets of mine.  Peggy Maibock and Simon Maibock from the Slyfox Brewing Company in Phoenixville, PA were named after my two, three-legged pet goats, Peggy and Simon. www.facebook.com/teampeggy And if you're not familiar with the Sly Fox Goat Race, check it out at http://www.slyfoxbeer.com/index.php/front/bockfest
Also worth noting: I have been working in the Craft Beer industry for 4 years, first as a cellarman at Weyerbacher Brewing Company in Easton PA, then at Golden Avalanche Brewing in Kutztown PA and currently as a brewer at Stoudts Brewing Company in Adamstown PA.
I am also running for a seat on the AHA Governing Committee. You can follow my campaign at www.PresbyforAHA.com.