Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stoopid Polar Vortex!  (Read 6832 times)

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
Stoopid Polar Vortex!
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:05:43 pm »
This polar vortex thing is driving me nuts.  It's probably not going to make it over 20 F here for a couple weeks.  That's messing with my brewing schedule, and I'm going to be behind on my Maibock. >:(  The temperature I can deal with - it's the lousy wind chill that's keeping me from brewing outdoors.  It's time for some more small batch BIAB experiments on the stove, I guess.

GO AWAY POLAR VORTEX - I GOTTA GET MY BREW ON!!!! 
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Stoopid Polar Vortex!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:20:12 pm »
i have a small batch electric kettle. can plug it anywhere. only 4gallons. works great.
Don AHA member

Offline Upstate Dan

• Cellarman
  • Albany, NY
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:23:50 pm »
When I read that we're in for potentially weeks of bitter cold weather in NY all I could think was..."man I can brew a lot of lagers now."

fistfullofhops

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:50:35 pm »
I was going to wait until it warmed up because even though I brew in a garage, it still gets DAMN cold in there because it's not attached, however; the cold weather is here to stay so I'm going to deal with it. Wind isn't a problem for me but mashing in can still be tricky when it's really cold.

Tuesday's session was the first time I didn't use a backup thermometer. Things were going weird at mash in, and when I finally decided to check with a second thermometer I discovered I had mashed in at >160*F. I aborted and tossed the grain. It was only a 60 shilling so the grain bill was pretty light.

Also had a propane regulator failure and busted a lab thermometer. Things weren't going my way.

But, with a bit of luck I shall redeem myself in a couple days when I squeeze 14g of 60 Shilling out of a Sanke kettle.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 05:20:15 am »
I was going to wait until it warmed up because even though I brew in a garage, it still gets DAMN cold in there because it's not attached, however; the cold weather is here to stay so I'm going to deal with it. Wind isn't a problem for me but mashing in can still be tricky when it's really cold.

Tuesday's session was the first time I didn't use a backup thermometer. Things were going weird at mash in, and when I finally decided to check with a second thermometer I discovered I had mashed in at >160*F. I aborted and tossed the grain. It was only a 60 shilling so the grain bill was pretty light.

Also had a propane regulator failure and busted a lab thermometer. Things weren't going my way.

But, with a bit of luck I shall redeem myself in a couple days when I squeeze 14g of 60 Shilling out of a Sanke kettle.

Sounds like a bad brew day, except for the mash temp.  I think that would be perfectly fine for a 60/-.  It would accentuate the maltiness in a very light beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 06:17:10 am »
Thanks for the reminder!

It's supposed to be 45 on Saturday and 56 on Sunday. Then bitterly cold for the foreseeable future. I'm going to brew twice this weekend.  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 11:30:44 am »
When I read that we're in for potentially weeks of bitter cold weather in NY all I could think was..."man I can brew a lot of lagers now."

+10 I live in NE Wisconsin; polar vortex bring it on! I have 5 years of firewood and 2 years of propane. The
vortex is saving me money on heating fuel and homebrewing. I'm currently on my second pint and saving money
as I rattle the keyboard. On a side note, the Mrs and I toast the house up on some Saturdays and walk around
in our underwear in the winter. It's just one reason we love living in the woods. Life is grand!
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 12:14:44 pm »
I'm about done with this vortex nonsense! The temp is currently 12 but the wind is howling at 30mph so it feels like -15 another 5" of snow coming through the weekend and next Tuesday is supposed to be -12 as a high.....

My garage is currently a temperate +8F, hoping to get a batch in tomorrow:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 12:37:03 pm »
I'm about done with this vortex nonsense! The temp is currently 12 but the wind is howling at 30mph so it feels like -15 another 5" of snow coming through the weekend and next Tuesday is supposed to be -12 as a high.....

My garage is currently a temperate +8F, hoping to get a batch in tomorrow:)

Pretty much a carbon copy here. And colder this coming week. Crazy s#&*.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 12:42:30 pm »
Bah.  It ain't so bad.

I just order my milled grains and they're ready for pick up on my way home.

10 gallons shall be brewed on Sunday in my kitchen.  Hopefully the steam doesn't freeze up on the inside of the windows.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 02:07:12 pm »
 On a side note, the Mrs and I toast the house up on some Saturdays and walk around
in our underwear in the winter. It's just one reason we love living in the woods. Life is grand!

Way more info than necessary.....;)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 04:22:26 pm »
On a side note, the Mrs and I toast the house up on some Saturdays and walk around

Way more info than necessary.....;)

Can't lie........that was a fair amount of info  :D.    But I support their right to walk around in their BVDs.
Jon H.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 08:34:31 am »
We have a terrific new concept we're working on here in Michigan. It's called "Inside"...

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 08:42:57 am »
Brewing in the attached garage. Not too bad toady. It has warmed up to the low 20s. With the warming we also are have some pretty good snow showers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 09:06:54 am »

Brewing in the attached garage. Not too bad toady. It has warmed up to the low 20s. With the warming we also are have some pretty good snow showers.
Same.. I'll be getting a batch underway in the garage this afternoon, the wind is howling and another 2-4" expected starting late tonight.