Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Temperature variation - OK?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline howlinghound

• Cellarman
Temperature variation - OK?
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:23:08 am »
I recently brewed up a batch of Golden Strong - Much more yeast (and sugars) than I have done in the past.  While I don't yet have a good process for temperature and control, this batch (5.5 gal) fermented in glass at around 62-66 degrees for a week.  Strong fermentation for about half of that and then very quiet by the end of that week.  Knowing that it needed to get hotter, I added heating for a handful of days and brought the batch slowly to about 76-78.  Strong fermentation began again and continued for a couple of days.  But, I don't have a way to really get this to 80 degrees and hold it; one day I was away and no heat was applied and the temp dropped -- It has been sitting at around 64 for the past week.  (My heating pad set-up shuts off automatically).  I have not yet tested gravity - but assuming that it is still higher than expected FG, any harm in working hard to bring the temp back up for another round??

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Temperature variation - OK?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:41:21 am »
Take a gravity reading and see if you have a problem before trying to fix it. If it was high 70's for a few days, might be done.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:32:46 am »
Take a gravity reading and see if you have a problem before trying to fix it. If it was high 70's for a few days, might be done.

What he said.  It isn't necessary for big Belgians to hit 80F.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:47:17 am »

What he said.  It isn't necessary for big Belgians to hit 80F.

+2 - I've fermented quads in the low 60s without touching the temp and they've turned out great. With a big healthy pitch of yeast most Belgian strains will gobble up everything you feed them without needing much help.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer