Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Have Brett T, will brew  (Read 2037 times)

Offline bdrinkrow

• 1st Kit
Have Brett T, will brew
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:14:53 pm »
I have some of this in the fridge and want to use it for a 100% Brett beer.  I'm having a hard time deciding what kind of beer to brew..  I'm kind of thinking American Wheat and an IPA using Galaxy as my finishing hops for both styles.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."

~Dean Martin

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Have Brett T, will brew
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:20:47 pm »
I have some of this in the fridge and want to use it for a 100% Brett beer.  I'm having a hard time deciding what kind of beer to brew..  I'm kind of thinking American Wheat and an IPA using Galaxy as my finishing hops for both styles.

Have you asked yourself "what will Brett bring to the beer im thinking about brewing?"

As a side note, can Brett survive in a hop heavy beer?  Obviously Hops where used for their antiseptic qualtities so is there some sort of theshhold for brett fermentations with hops?

Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline bdrinkrow

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:25:02 pm »
I don't know.  I've read a little about what a 100% Brett T ferm is like, which is why I was thinking of those two styles with Galaxy.  I think someone made a comment in the reviews on NB about using it in an IPa which is what got that idea going.  These two beers weren't my first choice.

Others have reported it's not really sour and a has hints of fruit.  I do know it will dry these out more and I don't know what that will be like with the American wheat beer.  This would be my first 100% Brett ferm, so I don't really know what to expect.

~Dean Martin

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:08:16 am »
Isn't a full brett IPA kind of like something you're allowed to try in college but not really supposed to tell anyone about?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 06:32:18 am »

Have you asked yourself "what will Brett bring to the beer im thinking about brewing?"

As a side note, can Brett survive in a hop heavy beer?  Obviously Hops where used for their antiseptic qualtities so is there some sort of theshhold for brett fermentations with hops?

Cheers,
Jeff
I have not consulted references, but high hop levels suppress spoilage organisms like lactobacillus. Brett is a wild yeast.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 07:45:15 am »
I have not consulted references, but high hop levels suppress spoilage organisms like lactobacillus. Brett is a wild yeast.

Hops inhibit some forms of bacteria, so no issues with hops and Brett (a wild yeast).

Consult the recent thread on propagating enough yeast for a 100% brett beer:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=18068.0

Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline bdrinkrow

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 09:42:10 am »
Thanks for the links, I'm surprised I didn't get that when I googled it, but then again, I don't use google..  What confuses me about the mad fermentationists site is he talks about pitching between ale and lager rates and then says he has to grow 8 billion into 150 billion.  150 billion isn't even pro ale rates per 5 gallons!  Maybe I read it wrong..

Regardless, I'll probably make a 3 step starter maxing at 4 L and see how it goes.  I think I'll stick with Simcoe as bittering of FW since it has a low cohumulone level and Galaxy later on.  If it seems too fruity maybe dry hop with simcoe.

~Dean Martin

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 10:05:59 am »
Brett fears nothing and eats almost anything.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 10:22:45 am »
Thanks for the links, I'm surprised I didn't get that when I googled it, but then again, I don't use google..  What confuses me about the mad fermentationists site is he talks about pitching between ale and lager rates and then says he has to grow 8 billion into 150 billion.  150 billion isn't even pro ale rates per 5 gallons!  Maybe I read it wrong..

Regardless, I'll probably make a 3 step starter maxing at 4 L and see how it goes.  I think I'll stick with Simcoe as bittering of FW since it has a low cohumulone level and Galaxy later on.  If it seems too fruity maybe dry hop with simcoe.

150 billion cells is a bit low for a 5 gallon batch at 1.060. Use Mrmalty.com or Yeastcalc.com for reference.

Dryhopping with Simcoe is always a good idea  ;D
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline bdrinkrow

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:31:31 am »
I actually prefer Brewer's Friend and use Kai's methodology for my stirplate.  What's funny is that in my starters without hops, when I use Kai's methodology and divide my jars based on those numbers and then compare that to the Malty pitch from slurry tool it seems to match up pretty closely.  Obviously, the pitch from slurry includes hops and a lot of dead cells, but it seemed odd that it would be so close and then the malty stir plate method is off.  If anything, you'd think the slurry from the starter was more concentrated.

Yeast calc figures the amount of viable cells differently than malty or brewer's friend which just seemed odd..

But I digress, I've used them all and the Brewer's Friend is my favorite.  Whenever I get a new vial of yeast I will work up to a 4L stirred starter and then harvest that and store it in my keezer.  I know freezing with glycol is better, but whatever.  Once it gets a month old or so I'll just make another starter based on the cell count and store it.  It seems to work well for me.

~Dean Martin

Offline crawfman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 02:45:13 pm »
I almost exclusively use Brett B. Trois for IPA/Hop forward recipes. In the past, I stick with my usual AIPA recipes and just replace the yeast with Brett Trois. As far as starters go, I find that this Brett takes off much like sach yeast.  It has a very vigurous initial phase in the starter and takes less than normal 100% Brett beers.  I currently have a SMaSH with Marris Otter and Amarillo going with Brett Trois.