Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cooking with habaneros  (Read 5076 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: cooking with habaneros
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2015, 10:41:19 am »

For the first iteration, I used 1 diced, deveined, and deseeded habanero (5g) in the keg. Tasted every day and on the third day the heat was perfect. It lasted throughout the life of the keg and was spot on with more sensation then spice. This time I slitted 2 habs and put them in the keg. Right now I am not getting anything so I may need to throw some more in. Not sure why I went away from what worked so well the first time....

When I cook with habaneros, sometimes I'll just slit them to keep the heat under control. But in your case there's obviously no heat involved here.  So that would be slow to give you the heat you're after. Sorry for the crappy advice, man - it works well for cooking, maybe not as well for what you're doing. My bad.
[/quote]

Not at all man. I appreciated it and thought it was great advice and worth the try. I was afraid to go overboard which is why I just chose 2. I was amazed at how well only one worked on the first attempt. This is the batch with hop matter discussed in the other thread so there are multiple things happening... When I pull the hops, I will just add more habs if necessary.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:45:09 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2015, 10:57:18 pm »
I had good luck with a de-seeded habanero, tossed into a blender with some lime juice and
a dab of salt.....FRAPPE.....add that to your salsa, chili, etc....beer?

Also use the  de-seeded Habanero in the cooking oil....saute' the thing then pull out the chunks
using the oil to cook your pork for green chili....yowsir!
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2015, 07:33:14 am »
I've started growing white habanero this year. With all the rain many of my pepper plants haven't done so well but I expect to see a harvest later in the summer or early fall. My favorite use for habanero is making cochinita pibil. The heat drops off in the marinade so it's really not spicy. What I don't use for cochinita pibil will go into salsa, hot sauce and I don't really know what else.

I made the mistake once after chopping serranos to put in my contacts. Did not get enough of the oils off my hands. My eyes were red and watery for hours even after removing the contacts.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2015, 02:42:25 pm »
Made salsa last night with one whole habanero. It was hot but super addicting. It does have a nice fruity flavor which was a nice change. Gonna have to incorporate these suckers more in my food by either removing them or deseeding and deveining....
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale