Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: recommend some Pots and Pans  (Read 14314 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: recommend some Pots and Pans
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 02:10:57 pm »
I have had the Emril collection for almost 10 years now and it works great for me.  I also like that diamond plated stuff for skillets. I dont think these are too expensive (all gifts) but they have lasted me quite some time and still sturdy.
We have these as well.  There was nothing in the set that we don't use.  They are very robust as well.
Me too. I love them and they are made by all-clad too. About 12 years old now and I don't imagine I'll ever have anything else.

- Sent by Tapatalk TARDIS Edition

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 02:55:21 pm »
I have stainless kettles but all my cherished pans are cast iron (Lodge, I live an hour away from the factory outlet). There is nothing better than cooking on 1) Gas and 2) Cast Iron. The non stick surface is simply unbeatable.

I have a 9 in round, a 17 inch round, a square (not sure the size on that one but 4 square pieces of sandwich bread) and even a wok.
I actually prefer my cast iron on the induction burner to gas... but I agree on cast iron for sure :D

Induction burner? Is that like the flat top ceramic stove top? I used to own one of those stoves and they are great, but not as good as gas. Better than electric burner for sure though.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 03:14:46 pm »
keith - no you're just describing a ceramic top electric burner.

an induction burner *may* look like that but that's where the similarities end.

most of the ones i've seen look like a giant stir plate.  they don't get hot - all the heat is created by magnetic force I believe.

they are really cool, super efficient and safer than either gas or electric.  i have a friend that brews on one (has a higher power one i presume and uses marbles to maintain a rolling boil).  but they are also pretty damned expensive, and as one poster mentioned, usually requires new cookware...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 03:24:39 pm »
I did a little reading on them after Keith asked the question as I didn't know anything about them either.  According to Wikipedia (not a great source but a place to start) they use a low power AC current to create a magnetic field that causes the Ferrous metal pan to heat up.  As the previous poster said, they do not heat the air so the cook top never gets hot, only the pan does.  They are supposed to be very efficient.

That's my "instant expert" take on it at least.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 06:02:08 pm »
OK. But until I get a chance to cook on one I'll stick with gas, which is what all the great chef's use, last I checked. Although, I haven't checked in a while.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 06:31:44 pm »
I think the main advantage is safety. You can be cooking in a pan, pick up the pan and put your hand on the burner. So it's safe for caterers who want to cook on a table or families who don't want to worry about the kids. But you know, lots of things to hurt yourself on in a kitchen. I don't think most chefs are using them for general cooking.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 07:58:18 am »
I think the main benefits of induction burners are efficiency, safety, ease of cleaning, and very very even heating since the pot isn't actually sitting on anything hot.  The pot itself is what heats up.  This means there are not any hot spots. 
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 07:59:46 am »
They are actually very popular is other parts of the world that are not the US...
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 08:18:12 am »
I don't quite understand how the stove top doesn't get hot. If the pan gets hot enough to cook food, hundreds of degrees Fahrenheit, how is none of that transferred to the stove top?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 08:39:30 am »
I got the whole plethora of heavy duty SS or copper pots and skillets.

Various sizes from 13",10" and 8" and from a pint to  several quarts and a couple 2+ gallon stockpots. And a SS pressure-cooker is a must IMO. Full-size wok. Interestingly I own no non-stick cookware. I routinely make omelets without them sticking.

Copper roasting pans- some real French professional cookware- expensive stuff glad I didn't have to buy them...

If I ever move to a smaller place or change my set up I'll go with multiple induction burners and a large convection counter-top oven like a Breville. Micro for heating various things. No need for an oven or range IMO. Great for a small apt etc these things are easily stowed away if needed.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 10:16:42 am »
I don't quite understand how the stove top doesn't get hot. If the pan gets hot enough to cook food, hundreds of degrees Fahrenheit, how is none of that transferred to the stove top?
The cooktops are usually glass and fairly insulated... They do def get warmed up from the pots and pans but 'most' of the heat generated by the pot/pan is transfered into the food vs the cook top.  It will be fairly warm right when you lift the pot/pan off of it but not burn you hot.  If that makes sense...
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 10:58:44 am »
I think the main benefits of induction burners are efficiency, safety, ease of cleaning, and very very even heating since the pot isn't actually sitting on anything hot.  The pot itself is what heats up.  This means there are not any hot spots.

Sounds nice but .... ouch! That price burned the hell out of me!

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 11:01:33 am »
The full on induction stoves in the US are considerably more than they are overseas.  I guess because induction never caught on here like it has in Europe.  I currently only have an induction cook top which was about $60.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 06:40:47 pm »
Mostly because heat rises and maybe the burner surface isn't that conductive. Think of metal handles on pans that stay cool. I'm sure some heat is transferred eventually though.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 08:46:46 pm »
Copper revereware.  Go to estate sales for that.   12" cast iron fry pan is my favorite pan. 

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2