Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Denny's Favorite Fermentation Temp  (Read 6326 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Denny's Favorite Fermentation Temp
« on: January 23, 2014, 09:35:07 am »
I thought about just asking Denny directly via PM, but I thought someone else may benefit from the answer, so...

Denny:  My next brew is going to be a Russian Imperial Stout fermented with Wyeast 1450 (reportedly your favorite).  I am wondering what fermentation temperature profile you would recommend.

What temperature to pitch and ferment at?  Do you ramp the temp up toward the end of fermentation?  If so, when and how much.  How long is typical for this to be in the primary on the yeast?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Denny's Favorite Fermentation Temp
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 10:07:44 am »
I typically run it at 62-65F.  After a week or so, I let it warm up to whatever temp the house is t the moment...usually 68-70.  I usually allow it about 3-4 weeks to finish and drop out.  Doesn't always take that long, but I try to not be in a hurry.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:08:25 am »
Thank you!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:42:03 pm »
You heard from the namesake, but those temps are pretty good for most ale yeasts, too.  Exceptions would be Belgian and Kolsch styles or if trying to go really low with an ale like US-05 or 1056....but I love me some RIPA with that 1450!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 02:14:40 pm »
I typically run it at 62-65F.  After a week or so, I let it warm up to whatever temp the house is t the moment...usually 68-70.

I'm curious about the purpose of the temperature raise.  Better taste?  To let the fermentation finish?  Free up space?

I'm using this yeast in my first all-grain batch.  I've got it at 64 degrees right now (close to three days in) and probably would have left it there without other information.  And also, I'm new at this and enjoy understanding the whys of things.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 02:28:34 pm »
I typically run it at 62-65F.  After a week or so, I let it warm up to whatever temp the house is t the moment...usually 68-70.

I'm curious about the purpose of the temperature raise.  Better taste?  To let the fermentation finish?  Free up space?

I'm using this yeast in my first all-grain batch.  I've got it at 64 degrees right now (close to three days in) and probably would have left it there without other information.  And also, I'm new at this and enjoy understanding the whys of things.

the aim of keeping a coolish temp during the early stage of fermentation is to prevent the production of a lot of undesirable fermentation byproducts like higher alcohols (hot, boozy, headachey) and esters (inappropriately fruity). At cooler temps yeast tend to develop less of these. These are mostly produced in the first 3 days of fermentation. The yeast are more likely to quit working and drop out sooner at lower temps and this can have it's own set of undesirable effects because the yeast don't finish cleaning up some byproducts that they would if they were active longer. Diecetyl (fake butter smell taste, slick/oily mouthfeel) is a common one of these as is acetaldehyde (sharp green apple).

By raising the temp at the end of fermentation you encourage the yeast to finish cleaning up and really fully attenuate by making them more active and because you kept it cool during the reproductive phase they didn't produce fusel alcohols or too many esters. so you end up with a really clean flavor and aroma. Some yeast strains are more prone to dropping out early and some will stall and not finish fermenting the available sugars if kept too cold.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:51:49 pm »
I need to try this stuff out. Denny do you have a lifetime supply? If so, could you send me some?  ;)
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 11:31:01 am »
Denny,
I kind of have the same question as Goschman. I am looking at the yeast strain chart for Wyeast on MrMalty.com and 1450 is not listed. I have not looked for it at my LHBS, but just wondering if it is a seasonal release or just too new to be listed?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline trentmark

• 1st Kit
  • Homebrewer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 11:08:04 am »
By raising the temp at the end of fermentation you encourage the yeast to finish cleaning up and really fully attenuate by making them more active and because you kept it cool during the reproductive phase they didn't produce fusel alcohols or too many esters. so you end up with a really clean flavor and aroma. Some yeast strains are more prone to dropping out early and some will stall and not finish fermenting the available sugars if kept too cold.
[/quote]

In addition: With my system, the temperature of the fermentation rises ~5 degrees F by log phase. As activity decreased the temperature also decreases. My approach it to slowly increase the temperature after the fermentation has peaked.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 11:38:36 am »
Denny,
I kind of have the same question as Goschman. I am looking at the yeast strain chart for Wyeast on MrMalty.com and 1450 is not listed. I have not looked for it at my LHBS, but just wondering if it is a seasonal release or just too new to be listed?

It's a year round release and has been around for a while - used it many times.  If you ask I'll bet your LHBS would get it.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 11:40:00 am »
Thanks Jon, had not asked, just looked at that chart. Will look for next time in LHBS.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)