General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Bottling from Kegs.

(1/4) > >>

rabid_dingo:
So, This year I decided not to bottle my holiday beer. But I would love to share some, as I have in
years past. I know it is easy to bottle from kegs and what not, but how many out there find that oxidation
it is really a perception and myth versus a real problem?

Does it really oxidize or have a great potential to oxidize? Do you have occasions where it did?
Do you have a high frequency of non-events when bottling from a keg?

I ask because I think that I would like to enter it into a comp, and I would have to bottle from
the keg.

bluesman:
I had a judge note a sherry aroma in a beer that I entered in the NHC. From what I'm told, this can occur from oxidation. I bottled that beer from a keg. I guess it's really hard to quantify it. I think oxidation is occurring, but to what extent I don't know. I try to minimize oxidation as much as I can during racking and such.

bonjour:
Oxidation may be either a blessing or a curse, usually a curse, depending on the style and strength of the beer.

I like bottling from the "beer gun" because you purge with CO2 before you bottle.

Fred

bluesman:

--- Quote from: bonjour on November 10, 2009, 06:19:09 AM ---Oxidation may be either a blessing or a curse, usually a curse, depending on the style and strength of the beer.

I like bottling from the "beer gun" because you purge with CO2 before you bottle.

Fred

--- End quote ---

I have the Blichmann Beer gun, but I haven't gotten around to using it. I need to try that for the next comp. That should also help reduce oxidation.

harsley:
I bottle right from the tap...just turn the pressure way down and go slow.  Never had problems from that at competitions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version