Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SNPA grain bill  (Read 2367 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
SNPA grain bill
« on: January 23, 2014, 12:42:05 pm »
I'm sure this is covered in approx 1,000 other threads but I just need some quick reinforcement: my SNPA-like pale ale, which I've brewed unchanged for about 6 batches over 3 years, suddenly tastes too caramelly compared to the real thing.  I do 93% pale ale malt and 7% caramel 60.  should I drop that to caramel 40? or what do you guys do?

also for hops, I do about 25 IBUs of Magnum at 60min, 10 IBUs of Centennial at 30, 8 IBUs of Cascade at 10min, and about double that amount of Cascade at flame-out. Sound good? I know SN uses Perle instead of Centennial but I don't use Perle in any other beer I make so I've subbed Cent in. Would any hops from the following I stock be better: Tettnang, Willamette, Columbus, or Hallertau?

-red

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: SNPA grain bill
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 01:08:58 pm »
I see Hallertau listed as a possible sub for Perle although the AA% is probably much lower. I think that would work much better than the Centennial
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:15:22 pm »
They use NA pale malt, and a British C60. Magnum, Perle, finish with Cascade. 38 IBUs.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 01:28:20 pm »
If it's been good until now I would look either at differences in the crop of hops you are using or seasonal changes in your water. or for that matter it could be changes in Sierra Nevada's water or hops. I don't think I'd go making many changes to a malt bill you've been happy with.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:24:07 am »
I'd also look at how your water may be affecting the malt profile. Any chance your LHBS has changed suppliers? Maybe they are selling you a different crystal malt.

I am pretty sure SN monitors their water carefully and adjusts it frequently.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:49:51 am »
93/7 @ 156dF is right.  Variation in hop crop from year to year, storage time & method will affect IBU.  I always recalculate recipe on Beersmith re-entering AA & factor for storage.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 09:08:13 am »
If it's been good until now I would look either at differences in the crop of hops you are using or seasonal changes in your water. or for that matter it could be changes in Sierra Nevada's water or hops. I don't think I'd go making many changes to a malt bill you've been happy with.

SN's water doesn't change.  It's filtered and treated the same way every time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 09:37:58 am »

SN's water doesn't change.  It's filtered and treated the same way every time.

Didn't you say at one point that they have an RO system but don't use it? the water situation here in northern California is so bad right now anyone on regular water is going to be seeing some changes I would think. I'm sure Sierra Nevada is very careful with their water treatment and get it as close as possible to consistent batch to batch but there must be some variation, at least in the input water.

If the difference he's seeing is on the SN side I imagine it's more likely the hops than the water because the water is so much easier to control but my point was more that it is likely a variation in some ingredient  other than the malt that's causing the change the OP is seeing.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 09:41:35 am »
Thanks for the various ideas.  I'm not too concerned about it, but it was just interesting looking back at my notes, because my 2 previous batches in 2013 were pretty much spot on matches to SNPA, and this one was not. A perfectly fine beer though.  I've always used Briess C-60 but the base malt has been a big variable (Canada, Rahr, Briess, etc.)

red

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 03:10:50 pm »
Hey Red.  I would double check your IBUs.  Everything else looks good.

Dave
Dave Zach