Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Competition  (Read 6749 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
First Competition
« on: January 23, 2014, 10:28:04 pm »
Entered into my first competition that is taking place here in Colorado Springs. Can't wait to see what others think about my beer. How were your experiences with your first competition?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: First Competition
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 10:56:44 pm »
I'll let you know in a few months. COHO Spring Fling will be my first

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 04:08:56 am »
Good luck to you! My first competition was the 2013 NHC. I entered my second all grain brew, which was my second recipe design ever. To my surprise, I win a blue ribbon in round one. I actually earned a higher score in the final round, but it did not place. Needless to say, my first competition experience was a surprising success.
Frank

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 05:23:10 am »
I've never entered one, but is may do so this year.  I was encouraged by the results last year with Annie Johnson's lawn mower, since I tend to make lighter lagers....no hiding behind those styles!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 06:05:51 am »
My first competition entry was in American Pale Ale.  Didn't realize back then the competition in that category.  Didn't place but did get some great feedback.  I did get a gold the following year in that same category.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 07:04:26 am »
Good luck! Even if you don't place the feedback you get helps a lot!

My first comp was a few years back, placed 3rd in a pale and second on a specialty.

I usually enter a couple a few comps each year. Just sent entries to the KC comp, hope they don't freeze on the way, this Midwest weather is freakin' brutal!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 07:59:28 am »
I was also head steward at the first competition I entered. I was thoroughly exhausted after, but my Belgian Dubbel took 2nd place in the Belgian & French category. What did you enter?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 08:16:03 am »
I got a ribbon for one of my beers, some good feedback that I agreed with, some not-so-good feedback that wasn't helpful.  Keep an open mind & realize that judges are people and a score and comments are not the end-all of brewing & beer enjoyment.  Realize that your success or lack thereof has to be put in the context of what other beers were in that competition as well.  In the end, you'll have to evaluate for yourself if your agree with the assessment of your beer, good or bad, high score or low score.  Good luck! 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 08:45:29 am »
my first competition was, I think, world cup of beers 2012. I didn't place on anything. as chinaski says, some of the feedback was good some not so good. Either way it was fun, and stressful, and exciting.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline son_of_buncrana

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 09:14:31 am »
Hey all I have entered some comps also. My first at an Octoberfest in 2012 and got a first and best of show for a chili ale and got a free entry into the national Comp in Philly last year. didn't do as well in the one in Philly but the feed back was priceless in helping me develop my Chile ale more. Also have entered a few others with varing results but my best I think was a comp in Philly last fall for a milk stout that got me a first and best of show and is going to be brewed at Nodding Head in Philly in a few weeks.

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 09:25:14 am »
I won a bronze with the first beer I ever entered. That inspired me to brew and enter more. The great feedback on my scoresheet did the same and also inspired me to get involved with judging. So, it was a great experience for me. I hope yours is similar! :)
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 09:32:11 am »
Hey all I have entered some comps also. My first at an Octoberfest in 2012 and got a first and best of show for a chili ale and got a free entry into the national Comp in Philly last year. didn't do as well in the one in Philly but the feed back was priceless in helping me develop my Chile ale more. Also have entered a few others with varing results but my best I think was a comp in Philly last fall for a milk stout that got me a first and best of show and is going to be brewed at Nodding Head in Philly in a few weeks.

damn!

I'm starting to feel inadequate in this thread.
Congrats to everyone!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 10:01:45 am »
I entered an IIPA into my first and only competition up to this point. It was a little ambitious especially considering that it was one of my first all grain beers and I have not brewed an IIPA since.

I don't know where my scorecard is but I didn't due too bad considering the circumstances. I do remember that there was a slight off-flavor that one of the judges detected and one judge in particular liked it much more than the others.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 10:41:26 am »
Signed up for my first comp not too long ago. I have a Quad that I brewed with the Unibroue strain back in the fall of 2012, and a Blackberry Melomel from summer '12 that I'm submitting. I'm not really into the competition thing, but I'm curious to see how these do.

These are two of the brews that I like the best from what I've brewed. I'm interested to hear whether there are some suggestions to make them even better. I'm also curious to see if my assessment of them is in line with what the judges think. Sort of like the "Commercial Calibration" column in Zymurgy, but using my own homebrew. For example, I love my Quad right where it is, but I suspect a judge may be looking for a bit more yeast character. In the end, the next time I brew I will still brew it to my palate, but this will be a nice doublecheck to see if I'm on with my assessment.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 10:59:39 am »
My first competition was the Michigan Beer Cup in 2010.  The price of your first 3 entries was the same rather you entered 1 or 3 entries so I entered 3.  I ended up with 2 third places.  One for a double IPA and one for a cinnamon vanilla mead.  That was the point at which I was hooked lol
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"