Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Competition  (Read 6702 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: First Competition
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 04:46:32 pm »
I just entered my first contest.
I placed third in the Porter catagory.
There were only nine entries in the catagory, but I figure at least I'm in the top third. I'm feeling pretty good about it, it was the first time I brewed the recipe, so it's not something I have been trying to perfect.
Looking forward to seeing the score sheet.

Nice job !  It's a good feeling. Use the criticism(s) constructively and it'll make your beer even better.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2014, 05:17:05 pm »
At 1 minute after midnight I got my application for NHC in. I'll bet about 200 people beat me to it in that minute...

I put in for 3 entries at Seattle.

Geez...at least I waited until 8am.  ;D

Listed for the max 6 entries...all of them award winners (including 2 this last weekend at the Upper Mississippi Mashout).

Midnight is my lunch time. 8 is my 10pm

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2014, 08:48:53 am »
I just entered my first contest.
I placed third in the Porter catagory.
There were only nine entries in the catagory, but I figure at least I'm in the top third. I'm feeling pretty good about it, it was the first time I brewed the recipe, so it's not something I have been trying to perfect.
Looking forward to seeing the score sheet.
Congrats...now you're hooked!  ;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 12:23:20 pm »
I've never entered one, but is may do so this year.  I was encouraged by the results last year with Annie Johnson's lawn mower, since I tend to make lighter lagers....no hiding behind those styles!

My first and only competition thus far occurred in 1998.   I entered an all-grain cream ale that ended up placing in category 6.  I was amazed that the beer did that well because I filled the bottles directly from a picnic tap.  The beer was shipped during the hottest month of the year to the judging location where it sat for several weeks.  The beer had to be oxidized, and oxidation stands out like a sore thumb in delicately flavored beers.

With that said, I am entering two beers in a local contest.   While I have received positive feedback on the beers from local brewers whose palates I trust, both beers are borderline with respect to gravity and bitterness.  I am not a fan of extremely bitter beer.   I like to keep my BU:GU ratio between 0.5 and 0.6, which has me worried because hopping rates appear to be climbing across the board.  Luckily, neither of the beers that I am entering falls into categories 10a, 14b, or 14c.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2014, 03:20:13 pm »
It's over, and the results are in. So pumped I got to enter and attend my first competition. I entered my beer in the American Brown Ale category. Took Silver with a final score of 37. Felt pretty good to win although I wasn't expecting it. There was 14 people that entered the same category as me. I am hooked and I have the competition bug now.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2014, 03:23:15 pm »
My first competition entry was in American Pale Ale.  Didn't realize back then the competition in that category.  Didn't place but did get some great feedback.  I did get a gold the following year in that same category.
Care to share that gold-winning PA recipe?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2014, 07:21:43 pm »
It's over, and the results are in. So pumped I got to enter and attend my first competition. I entered my beer in the American Brown Ale category. Took Silver with a final score of 37. Felt pretty good to win although I wasn't expecting it. There was 14 people that entered the same category as me. I am hooked and I have the competition bug now.
Totally cool! Good for you!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2014, 07:29:37 pm »

Sweet! Great job!
Frank

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2014, 08:30:34 pm »
Yep that's how it goes... Got some medals my first time as well.  Haven't stopped entering since. Congrats
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2014, 01:37:10 pm »
Care to share that gold-winning PA recipe?
It was the CYBI recipe for Mirror Pond (see below).  The only change I made is I added a bunch of home grown cascade to a hop bag and hung it in the keg.  I think it may have been a couple ounces wet, then dried before I added them.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Mirror Pond Pale Ale
Brewer: Stephen A. Mayo
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 9.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.90 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 10.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.7 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
12 lbs 2.0 oz         Pale Ale (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)               Grain         2        91.5 %       
14.8 oz               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)    Grain         3        7.0 %         
3.2 oz                Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)             Grain         4        1.5 %         
1.00 oz               Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 85.0 min         Hop           5        21.1 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min         Hop           6        10.8 IBUs     
1.00 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins)         Fining        7        -             
1.00 oz               Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           8        3.5 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           9        0.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [1500.0 Yeast         10       -             
0.75 oz               Cascade [6.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days      Hop           11       0.0 IBUs     

Mash Schedule: 5 Gallon Strike - Single Infusion, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
5 Gallon          Add 19.87 qt of water at 161.5 F        149.0 F       60 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 5.97gal) of 185.0 F water
Notes:
------

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline jeremy0209

• Cellarman
    • Brewing with Jeremy
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2014, 05:08:29 pm »
I've entered 5 competitions: two firsts and two thirds....in my flight, that is.  I've never gotten close to BOS.  The one comp in which I didn't place, I had a stout score a 41...my highest score to date.  I'm working on three entries for this year's NHC.....fingers crossed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk