Author Topic: When to pull yeast out of a conical  (Read 1085 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
Re: When to pull yeast out of a conical
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 04:17:13 AM »
I just have plastic 60L Spiedels at this point, but have considered a conical, as I like the concept of transferring clear wort under pressure.  I have always wondered how you clean and sanitize the dump valve in place after the dump of an early trub and unwanted yeast?  Just spray it down with StarSan?
That is what I do.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 08:11:42 AM »
I just have plastic 60L Spiedels at this point, but have considered a conical, as I like the concept of transferring clear wort under pressure.  I have always wondered how you clean and sanitize the dump valve in place after the dump of an early trub and unwanted yeast?  Just spray it down with StarSan?

Do you mean clear wort or beer?  I ask because I can't think of a reason to transfer wort under pressure. Regardless either way is doable.  I have the Spiedel fermenter which I have used for several brews.  I transferred to the fermenter from the boil kettle (under pump pressure) coming out of the plate chiller.  When the fermentation is done I transfer under CO2 pressure to a keg.  If you a want picture of how I do it I can provide one.
Steve
All Hands Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 11:35:25 AM »
I think either would work - wort or fermented beer - but I was meaning clear beer, really.  I would like to see your set up for pressurized transfer from the Speidel fermenter...I assume the screw on cap could be fitted with a cornie post and qcd?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »
Here is how I have done it:

The hose (I use silicone tubing) fits perfectly on the faucet output and the beverage-out ball-lock valve. I put hose clamps at both ends to seal it perfectly.   The yeast has always been just below the faucet, so not much gets into the keg.

Below is a picture of the top setup.  It is a #8 stopper held in place with the ring from an extra faucet I purchased.  The white T valve makes the final connection to the gas line.  2-3 psi from the CO2 canister and you're in business.

BTW, I use a #8 stopper with 2 holes in it for fermenting.  One has the airlock in it, the other a thermowell so I measure actual beer temperature.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:27:51 PM by yso191 »
Steve
All Hands Brewing

Offline dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »
I bought a vacuum pump for transferring my meads awhile back.. so I've been doing the opposite and transferring my beers via vacuum.  Mostly because it's super easy.  Though I suppose I am taking co2 out of solution when I do it and I then have to use a slight bit more co2 to carb the beers back up.  Probably would use more co2 if I did the pressurized transfer still though... ;-)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 04:24:59 AM »
Here is how I have done it:

The hose (I use silicone tubing) fits perfectly on the faucet output and the beverage-out ball-lock valve. I put hose clamps at both ends to seal it perfectly.   The yeast has always been just below the faucet, so not much gets into the keg.

Below is a picture of the top setup.  It is a #8 stopper held in place with the ring from an extra faucet I purchased.  The white T valve makes the final connection to the gas line.  2-3 psi from the CO2 canister and you're in business.

BTW, I use a #8 stopper with 2 holes in it for fermenting.  One has the airlock in it, the other a thermowell so I measure actual beer temperature.

Nice set up.  I have 60 liter models (2), so I will check this out (no screw top lid on mine - they are perimeter snap lock).  I won't have gravity on my side, either, since I will be going from a chest freezer up and out to a cornie, but it will beat heavy lifting of 10+ gallon batches.  How does your gas hose connect?  Just slip it over the barb?  Mine are barrel nuts on the end of my lines and I'd hate to remove them each time I rack.....

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 07:54:07 AM »
I am so illiterate with respect to metric conversion it didn't occur to me that you had one of the big boys.  So here's a thought.  When I was using carboys I used a two-hole stopper with a racking cane in one and CO2 pressure in the other.  Something similar may work for your setup.
Steve
All Hands Brewing

Online Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 08:22:11 AM »
I've seen others that have used a second spigot on the top and hooked the CO2 directly up to that.
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 08:24:20 AM »
I am so illiterate with respect to metric conversion

5 US gals is about 19L.  For a 60 L vessel, you could say it's close enough to 15 US gals.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 08:35:18 AM »

5 US gals is about 19L.  For a 60 L vessel, you could say it's close enough to 15 US gals.

Yeah, I know.  I've seen that conversion countless times.  Its about memory... no probably importance to me.  I just don't care enough to remember it or take the time/effort to recall it.  It brings me no pleasure.  As a general rule I resist doing math in my head - always have.  When I went to college they put me in a remedial math class - then when I transferred 2 years later I had forgotten it all and after the entrance exam the second university put me back in remedial math to learn it all over again.  I actually went to a counselor once while in the second math class because I was always falling asleep while studying for the class.  Her response?  "Stand up while studying." 

All the sudden I want to tell you that I also was class valedictorian and had a 4.0 GPA at the first college.  I guess I don't want you to think I'm just plain dumb.
Steve
All Hands Brewing

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 08:49:52 AM »

Yeah, I know.  I've seen that conversion countless times.  Its about memory... no probably importance to me.  I just don't care enough to remember it or take the time/effort to recall it.  It brings me no pleasure.  As a general rule I resist doing math in my head - always have.  When I went to college they put me in a remedial math class - then when I transferred 2 years later I had forgotten it all and after the entrance exam the second university put me back in remedial math to learn it all over again.  I actually went to a counselor once while in the second math class because I was always falling asleep while studying for the class.  Her response?  "Stand up while studying." 

All the sudden I want to tell you that I also was class valedictorian and had a 4.0 GPA at the first college.  I guess I don't want you to think I'm just plain dumb.

I'm with you.  I have a math phobia.  In university others seemed to look at a formula and things would become clear. To me, they just become more complex.  The reason I remember is because I buy distilled water in 15L jugs and I do 15 US gal batches so that I end up with 3 cornies. 

Online Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 09:07:16 AM »
Quarts and liters are close enough in volume that I treat them the same in my head.
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
Quarts and liters are close enough in volume that I treat them the same in my head.

+1 that's easier.  With the 60 liter Speidel, I do just 10-13 gallon batches, mostly lagers.  Ales go in regular 6.5 gallon ale pails ...

Good ideas on the CO2 alternatives and we have officially hijacked this thread - sorry OP!   :-[

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »

They are close. ~3.8L=1 Gallon. I have read that a lot for some reason.  ;D
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 01:09:53 PM »

+1 that's easier.  With the 60 liter Speidel, I do just 10-13 gallon batches, mostly lagers.  Ales go in regular 6.5 gallon ale pails ...

Good ideas on the CO2 alternatives and we have officially hijacked this thread - sorry OP!   :-[

As the OP, I'm OK with the hijack :)

I got the answer (though not the one I wanted because I wanted to steal yeast to brew this weekend).