Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop experts wanted...  (Read 1530 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Hop experts wanted...
« on: January 24, 2014, 06:18:28 pm »
So tonight I tested and sampled the below extract recipe. It's been 2 weeks in primary and I've just added another 3 oz of secondary hop pellets. It tasted fine, nothing off, but not something I would say is remarkable. Would the below secondary hops (considering the amount) change the flavor a lot?
Boil (1 oz. each of Warrior, Amarillo, Citra)
Secondary hops (1 oz. each of Ahtanum, Amarillo, Simcoe)

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/downloads/524/Ferocious%20Instructions.pdf

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Hop experts wanted...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:20:11 pm »
the dryhops will change the beer quite a bit.  give it a full week and report back;)

RDWHAHB
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 06:36:32 pm »
The beer itself will probably taste better a week or two from now. And three oz of dry hops should add a lot of aroma.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:09:24 pm »
Dry hops will make for a marked increase in aroma, and some flavor contribution as well. It will be well worth the wait.

And carbonation, plus the proper pour in the proper glass will make a huge impact as well - possibly more so for a dry-hopped IPA than any other style.

You patience will be greatly rewarded, as difficult as that may be right now.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 07:31:57 am »

the proper pour in the proper glass will make a huge impact as well - possibly more so for a dry-hopped IPA than any other style.

+1.  I use a tulip glass for IPAs (and most styles) now. Really intensifies the aromas.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 11:58:30 am »

the proper pour in the proper glass will make a huge impact as well - possibly more so for a dry-hopped IPA than any other style.

+1.  I use a tulip glass for IPAs (and most styles) now. Really intensifies the aromas.

+2 I used to use tulip glasses for IPAs until I got those new crystal IPA glasses designed by SN and Dogfish Head for Christmas..... I highly recommend spending the money on these gems!
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 12:22:50 pm »

+2 I used to use tulip glasses for IPAs until I got those new crystal IPA glasses designed by SN and Dogfish Head for Christmas..... I highly recommend spending the money on these gems!

I've got some of those too, Frank. I really like them. I guess the theme is the narrow mouth glass that intensifies aromas. Definitely makes a difference.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 03:12:41 pm »

I've got some of those too, Frank. I really like them. I guess the theme is the narrow mouth glass that intensifies aromas. Definitely makes a difference.

I think the combination of the narrow opening and the extra "head" space work together to intensify the aroma. I pour pretty hard into them and pretty much fill the glass completely with a large hoppy head. Pretty much the same deal with a large tulip glass.
Frank