Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Force Carbing 3 kegs at once  (Read 2767 times)

Offline brewski207

• 1st Kit
Force Carbing 3 kegs at once
« on: January 25, 2014, 01:07:23 pm »
To all that could help or give advice... I just recently after many years got a keg fridge put together with 3 taps, hooked up to a 5# co2 tank and a 3 way manifold. my question is... Is it possible to force carbonate 3 5 gal kegs at the same time? im shooting for 2.3-2.5 volumes @ 40 degrees. im currently in the process of trying, and still getting flat beer through the faucet. theve been sitting a week at 12psi. im running them through 7.5 feet of 3/16id bev tubing. any tips or advice would be great

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Force Carbing 3 kegs at once
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:25:07 pm »
I've never tried it, but can't imagine why it wouldn't work.  Force carbing always works faster at lower temperatures and higher pressures.  I force carb mine at ~34* and close to 20 psi.  That takes about three days.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:34:09 pm »
Hooking up multiple kegs won't matter, but at serving pressure it usually takes more than a week for me. You can speed it up by turning up the pressure or shaking the kegs.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewski207

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:31:07 pm »
Thanks, i turned temp down and pressure up, just gotta wait! thing was i pressurized the kegs at 18psi at 65 degrees and let them sit for a good week plus while i was working on the fridge. just thought they would have been carbonated enough when i put them in the fridge and adjusted the pressure to the colder temps.

Offline evandy

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:39:58 pm »
Are they completely still after a week?  I've had some kegs that weren't ready to serve after a week, but they were all at least effervescent.   If they're completely still, I'd check that the gas is on and flowing to all kegs.  (Pull pressure relief, confirm that you can hear the regulator hissing).   If they're getting there, then I'd say waiting another week is not that unusual...

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:57:54 pm »
If it's coming out of the tap seems like there's pressure to them. Odd, very odd.

Offline evandy

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 06:32:06 am »
If it's coming out of the tap seems like there's pressure to them.

I once had a CO2 cylinder go out, and I was still able to pour about a dozen pints before I noticed.  ADmittedly, that was with a 1/2 empty keg so there was more stored air pressure...   But, yeah, seems odd.

Looking at a CO2 volume table, 18PSI/65 degrees is about 1.9 volumes of CO2.  That's pretty lightly carbonated, but it should still be bubbling, if lightly.  But certainly not fully carbed for most styles at that point.   To get a more standard 2.5 volumes at 65F, you'd need 28psi.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 07:47:13 am »
Were the kegs so full the beer level was higher than the bottom of the gas dip tube?  Wouldn't be now that you've been dispensing, of course, but maybe for a while there?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 08:25:08 am »
+1 to keeping the beer below the gas dip tube.  Had issues there once.  Also evandy, you beat me to it - carbing that warm @ 18 psi probably is gonna not be more than partially carbonated. If nothing else put the kegs in a rubbermaid tub full of ice while you carb.
Jon H.

Offline brewski207

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 08:50:13 am »
I realized 18psi@ 65 degrees was low, but tank was starting to empty, just thought there would be some carbonation... i got a fresh tank before hooking all the egs up in the new fridge. 2. i dont believe the beer in the kegs was to high and able to get to the dip tube. I guess ill just wait a little longer and check back! thanks for all the help!