Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 7 months in on a Flanders Red with Roeselare  (Read 4475 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: 7 months in on a Flanders Red with Roeselare
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 08:51:10 am »
I add wine yeast to my sours when I bottle. I've had some early sours not carbonate well when I did not re-yeast. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I've never had a carbonation problem since I started reyeasting. I use dry wine yeast and just tap a few cells into the bottle before corking or capping.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 09:04:10 am »
I add wine yeast to my sours when I bottle. I've had some early sours not carbonate well when I did not re-yeast. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I've never had a carbonation problem since I started reyeasting. I use dry wine yeast and just tap a few cells into the bottle before corking or capping.

at risk of being totally pedantic, those little pellets are not cells, you are tapping a few thousand, maybe a couple million cells into each bottle.[/pedantic rant]
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 09:25:43 am »
Thanks again - last question:  I am thinking of bottling some in brown PET half liters for a local competition - any problems with short term use of PET? What about longer term?  My thought is that I don't have immediate access to a corker for the long term storage and I need to bottle some for the comp, anyway.....

I dont have much experience with plastic bottles, but I bet you could get away with it short-term. If the comp is soon, bottle a few with priming tabs and some dry yeast to make sure you get them carb'd in time, then store them cold until you turn them in.

Mort made a good point - are PET bottles allowed?

I've always rented a stand corker from my LHBS. I bought a handheld model, but its worthless.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 09:41:00 am »

Maybe it all depends on how much viable brett is left in solution (just like bottle conditioning clean beers). Length of conditioning, strain, initial pitch rate, acidity levels, etc. etc. Maybe I'm just getting lucky w/ bottles. I have had kegs of funky beer not carb on their own...

Pitching new yeast is definitely more predictable and shortens carbonating time. I just hate to lose so much beer to the thick layer of sediment, and I especially hate getting that sediment in the glass. I like 12 oz bottles or 375 mL, where sediment is a bigger issue than 750mL.

Also, at the 2011 NHC, Chad Y mentioned that large amount of sacch in the bottle gives off a precursor (capric acid?) that brett turns into goaty aromas.

On a commercial time frame, I would be much more inclined to re-yeast (especially if I had better control of pitch rate).

Maybe next time I bottle, I'll try pitching a bit of fresh brett?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 12:25:26 pm »
I can always bottle some in 12 oz brown glass bottles; I was just thinking that bottling in plastic would allow me to feel whether the beer was carbed and I thought the plastic could withstand a higher pressure (since not corking...).

Looking at the rules, there is no mention of container size.  BJCP categories apply and they reserve the right to combine subcategories based on number of entries for a category.  Finally, the number of entries is limited to 800.

While I am thinking -- what about for the NHC competition, only 12 oz bottles and only glass?

Thanks for answering all the dumb questions - but I've never entered a real competition before and this is my first Flanders Red.  (I brew a ton of lagers, but want to branch out to other styles that I can store and savor, because my lagers go in a heartbeat to my group of buddies who love to visit my garage and basement).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"