Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Acetaldehyde  (Read 5286 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Acetaldehyde
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:20:14 am »
Noticed a strong cider smell when bottling a recent 1 gallon batch. Upon tasting last night, it was still there after a week of bottling. What are the most common reasons and will it go away?

-May have pitched too warm
-Haven't bottled for 2 weeks

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Acetaldehyde
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:44:49 am »
http://www.beerjudgeschool.com/uploads/Beer_Characteristics_Flash_Cards.pdf

This is a great reference for issues pertaining to beer to help you diagnose what may have occurred.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 01:52:33 pm »
Can this be caused by fruit flies? I thought I read that online.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 01:56:41 pm »
Acetic acid can be caused by fruit flies.

Acetaldehyde is caused by stressed yeast in my experience. Under pitching and too warm of a ferment. Leaving the beer on the cake can help clean it up.

Could be wrong, but once it is racked off of the cake, it won't go away.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 04:46:21 pm »
What style beer was it?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 04:56:53 pm »
Pale Ale

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 05:36:07 pm »
If it is acetylaldehyde (green apples) it might decrease a little, but not likely. Acetylaldehyde is normally produced by yeast, even more by stressed yeast. But it can also be reabsorbed by yeast after fermentation. Once it's bottled though, no luck. The yeast in the bottle might absorb a little, but they'll only help a little.

How long did it ferment?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 05:41:11 pm »
Before I got good temp control and stir plates I fought with acetaldehyde frequently. Its a precursor to ethanol which the yeast will clean up IF they don't go dormant first. So, healthy yeast, in proper amounts, with stable temps is the key.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 05:42:14 pm »
.....and don't try to bottle too soon.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 05:45:20 pm »
Right!

You should taste your gravity tests. Done equals stable final gravity + no off flavors.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 05:58:07 am »
Be aware that there is also a difference between acetaldehyde (green apple) and apple ester (regular non-green apple).  Some yeasts such as WLP400 throw a ton of apple and pear flavors, which has nothing to do with acetaldehyde.  If you severely underpitched or used really old yeast, you could have acetaldehyde.  If you used a Belgian yeast or even American yeast, in some instances you could get the non-green apple ester even with a good pitch.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 07:27:18 am »
Be aware that there is also a difference between acetaldehyde (green apple) and apple ester (regular non-green apple).  Some yeasts such as WLP400 throw a ton of apple and pear flavors, which has nothing to do with acetaldehyde.  If you severely underpitched or used really old yeast, you could have acetaldehyde.  If you used a Belgian yeast or even American yeast, in some instances you could get the non-green apple ester even with a good pitch.
Dave you are correct. There is the beer myth that Bud has high acetaldehyde levels, but it is due to that yeast producing apple esters.

Reference is Mitch Steele, who worked at AB.
http://hoptripper.com/what-is-quality/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 08:58:08 am »

Dave you are correct. There is the beer myth that Bud has high acetaldehyde levels, but it is due to that yeast producing apple esters.

this is true, interesting though that having attended a tasting seminar put on by Siebel, Bud was used as the control beer and was used as the sole descriptor for this off flavor with no spiking of the beer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:49 am »

this is true, interesting though that having attended a tasting seminar put on by Siebel, Bud was used as the control beer and was used as the sole descriptor for this off flavor with no spiking of the beer
He does point out that beer educators get this wrong.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 10:59:17 am »

He does point out that beer educators get this wrong.
true, the microbiologist that led the tasting pointed this out as well at the time, just threw it out there as an interesting tidbit