Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cooling down the wort  (Read 1931 times)

Offline rugbymike

• 1st Kit
Cooling down the wort
« on: January 26, 2014, 01:47:34 pm »
Is it bad to add water to the wort to cool it down quicker after the boil? Currently I am putting my brew pot in a bathtub full of ice water. It seems to work fine but I was wondering if I can also put in the remaining water to get to the 5 gallons.
-Mike

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Cooling down the wort
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 01:51:59 pm »
A lot of extract recipes call for adding additional water (if you only boil 3 gallons for instance). How much are you boiling?
IMO, it's fine, I would use distilled water out of a bottle, or pre-boil some water and stick it in the refrigerator.

Offline rugbymike

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 02:54:07 pm »
I am working with typically about 2-2.5 gallons while I am making the wort, then I add the water once it is cooled down to 70 degrees. Once it is cooled I add the room temp. bottled water to get it to 5 gallons before I pitch the yeast.

So adding the water while it is cooling is not a deal breaker?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 03:21:13 pm »
Someone may correct me here....but below are my suggestions;

-Try and do a full boil if possible
-If you're going to add water, add cold water (adding water or not, the idea is to get the wort down to pitching temps quickly)
-I wouldn't let the wort get all the way down in temp, because the cold water will speed things up once you add it
-Logistically, I would cool the wort down to say 100 degrees, siphon this into your fermentor and then pour in your cold water up to the 5 gallon mark. If you're adding another 2-2.5 gallons of cold water, that water will be down to pitching temps almost immediately.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 04:15:34 pm »
Someone may correct me here....but below are my suggestions;

-Try and do a full boil if possible
-If you're going to add water, add cold water (adding water or not, the idea is to get the wort down to pitching temps quickly)
-I wouldn't let the wort get all the way down in temp, because the cold water will speed things up once you add it
-Logistically, I would cool the wort down to say 100 degrees, siphon this into your fermentor and then pour in your cold water up to the 5 gallon mark. If you're adding another 2-2.5 gallons of cold water, that water will be down to pitching temps almost immediately.

+1. Its been a while but we used to put 3 gallons of water in the freezer and right as it iced  up we would drop it into the fermenter filled with 200F wort.  it would take it down to 80-90 no issue.

If possible i would full boil for hop utilization reasons and sanitary issues, but if you dont have a chiller yet thats tough to cool.  If you are just getting into brewing than a chiller for full boils would be the next piece of equipment to buy IMO.

Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 09:13:21 pm »
As a general rule, it is a good idea to cool your wort to 65 F or below for ales before pitching.  Cool your wort to 90 F (for example) and add cold water at 35-40 F (for example) to get in the 62-65 F range.  Your yeast may take a little longer to ferment, but will be better for having been cooler.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 04:51:38 am »
Before I was able to boil the full batch size and didn't have a chiller, I would chill the wort down to into the 80-90 degree range then add the top up water to bring it down to pitching temp.
I will add a caution here, if you are fermenting in glass, do not put very hot wort in the carboy and then add very cold water.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan