Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DMS causes  (Read 10652 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: DMS causes
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 02:27:40 pm »
No, it's definitely not Belgian funky. If anything, it's corn like, but I don't smell it and instantly think CORN. Then again, everyone always says creamed corn and I'm not sure how that differs from regular cooked corn.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 03:17:18 pm »
Or is it Rolling Rock-y ?  Rolling Rock is a pretty prime example of excessive DMS.  Just trying to picture what you have.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 03:52:54 pm »
Not sure, but I might go buy a can of that now for the example. All I know is that it's the same flavor I got in a helles brewed with rahr pils. I thought it was just the malt character but I think it's something else now.
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 03:56:13 pm »

I had two lagers go South on me and I figured out it was because I left them in the fridge overnight to cool and they got an infection.  Wondering if this could be your case as well. 

Unless your sanitation practices are questionable this should not be a problem. I followed that practice for years with never a problem.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 04:05:12 pm »
Not sure, but I might go buy a can of that now for the example. All I know is that it's the same flavor I got in a helles brewed with rahr pils. I thought it was just the malt character but I think it's something else now.

Probably a dumb question but ... your not boiling with the lid on are you?

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 06:40:36 pm »
A more general question:  if his problem were indeed DMS, would you be able to taste that in the post-boil wort?  That is, would you be able to notice this and possibly boil some more at that time?  Or does this sort of flaw only become evident after fermentation?

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 06:41:50 pm »

I had two lagers go South on me and I figured out it was because I left them in the fridge overnight to cool and they got an infection.  Wondering if this could be your case as well. 

Unless your sanitation practices are questionable this should not be a problem. I followed that practice for years with never a problem.

Sanitation is good, chest freezer gets a little moldy in the summer even with damp rid.  The only other thing is having the blow off liquid sucked up the tube when crash cooling.  I hate when that happens.

I don't see DMS problems with that much boil off.  Old malt?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 07:51:55 pm »

Nope, not boiling with the lid on. But, as I feared, I think it may be the regulator. I tapped the pilsner tonight that I'm carbonating with a different regulator and it tastes good. I fear the regulator might have gotten beer in there at some point a few years ago when beer backed up in there. But, that's not to say it's a definite. Just that it's not tasting funky......yet. Tastes like a pilsner! So, I don't know whether I should buy a new regulator (the one I'm carbonating the pilsner with is a single gauge regulator, so I have no way of knowing how much gas is left)...or what. I've soaked the co2 lines and manifold in pbw and rinsed really well, recently. So, a beer changing in the keg as it carbonates points me towards contamination in the gas side somewhere...just like I was having with the butterscotchy crap. Do I have bad luck with kegging or what?
Jesse

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 08:59:53 pm »
If it's a cheap one I'd replace it. If a spendy one they can be rebuilt fairly reasonable. I've rebuilt scuba regulators, pretty simple, but with something important like beer, I'd have a pro do it.

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 10:21:25 pm »
If it's a cheap one I'd replace it. If a spendy one they can be rebuilt fairly reasonable. I've rebuilt scuba regulators, pretty simple, but with something important like beer, I'd have a pro do it.

That's dedication to the craft! "Scuba? Yeah, I guess that air under water is nice to have but I bring it the experts when it comes to homebrew"

Kudos sir.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 10:45:01 pm »
My old Dacor regs were super simple. I've never had a CO2 regulator apart before.

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 04:23:38 am »
Could you spray the tank side of the regulator intake with Star San (allowing it to pool up in the stem a bit) and then hook up the tank and push the Star San through the regulator?  It make take a few times of disconnecting and reconnecting to fully coat the inside of the regulator, but I would give it a try...it might work?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 05:18:32 am »

Nope, not boiling with the lid on. But, as I feared, I think it may be the regulator. I tapped the pilsner tonight that I'm carbonating with a different regulator and it tastes good. I fear the regulator might have gotten beer in there at some point a few years ago when beer backed up in there. But, that's not to say it's a definite. Just that it's not tasting funky......yet. Tastes like a pilsner! So, I don't know whether I should buy a new regulator (the one I'm carbonating the pilsner with is a single gauge regulator, so I have no way of knowing how much gas is left)...or what. I've soaked the co2 lines and manifold in pbw and rinsed really well, recently. So, a beer changing in the keg as it carbonates points me towards contamination in the gas side somewhere...just like I was having with the butterscotchy crap. Do I have bad luck with kegging or what?

SO regulators can indeed be taken apart and rebuilt.  http://morebeer.com/products/regulator-rebuild-kit.html?site_id=7  Its not to hard you just need to remember that the brass used in regulators is a soft metal and will be damaged easily by a heavy hand:)

Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 07:14:57 am »
 I decided to just get all new co2 side stuff (other than gas disconnects, which are easily disassembled and cleaned). Upgraded to a dual pressure gauge regulator. I may take this current one apart to see if it can be cleaned and rebuilt. Also got a new 4 way manifold, upgrade from a 3, so I can have a 4th keg carbonating. Figured, why the hell not. It's a little money I have to spend, plus I had a gift card for Northern Brewer anyway.
Be nice if I could get the other regulator functional again. We shall see.

Do you guys sanitize new co2 line?

Thanks for all your input, guys. I appreciate it.
Jesse

Offline Stevie

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 07:28:05 am »
I have never sanitized co2 line. I don't clean it either. I have only had beer flow up one line. I just cut it shorter and kept going.