Author Topic: DMS causes  (Read 1535 times)

Offline mtnrockhopper

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Re: DMS causes
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 07:33:12 AM »
I have not sanitized Co2 lines. Are you sure your serving lines are perfectly clean. I had a problem last year. The first glass had strong chlorophenol, but the second was always better. 24 hours later - repeat. So I figured it was beer sitting in the lines going bad. Cleaned the lines with BLC, it got better. Replaced the lines, problem gone.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 08:11:10 AM »

I decided to just get all new co2 side stuff (other than gas disconnects, which are easily disassembled and cleaned). Upgraded to a dual pressure gauge regulator. I may take this current one apart to see if it can be cleaned and rebuilt. Also got a new 4 way manifold, upgrade from a 3, so I can have a 4th keg carbonating. Figured, why the hell not. It's a little money I have to spend, plus I had a gift card for Northern Brewer anyway.
Be nice if I could get the other regulator functional again. We shall see.

Do you guys sanitize new co2 line?

Thanks for all your input, guys. I appreciate it.

You can get check valves to prevent beer backflow much past the IN QD. Just in case you forget to relieve pressure in the kegs when moving , bottling. Etc.
Thank you BEER!

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 08:35:06 AM »
Cool. I didn't figure it would matter much. Looking forward to the upgrade.

Mtnrockhopper - I don't think it's bad serving lines. I clean them pretty regularly. Every couple kegs I run a bunch of BLC through them, then rinse, then starsan. I also usually replace my lines once a year. And recently took my faucets apart and cleaned them. Kegging really kind of is a lot of work...

The check valve idea is a good one. I definitely make sure to vent the keg after sealing the lid and hooking the co2 back up these days. And also spray the post and quick disconnect with starsan. I don't mess around anymore, I make sure my stuff is clean.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:39:28 AM by beersk »
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 10:32:23 AM »
Cool. I didn't figure it would matter much. Looking forward to the upgrade.

Mtnrockhopper - I don't think it's bad serving lines. I clean them pretty regularly. Every couple kegs I run a bunch of BLC through them, then rinse, then starsan. I also usually replace my lines once a year. And recently took my faucets apart and cleaned them. Kegging really kind of is a lot of work...

The check valve idea is a good one. I definitely make sure to vent the keg after sealing the lid and hooking the co2 back up these days. And also spray the post and quick disconnect with starsan. I don't mess around anymore, I make sure my stuff is clean.
Every. Single. Time.
Thank you BEER!

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »
You betcha!

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 10:13:36 AM »
So, I took one of my beers into the recent homebrew club meeting and people said they got flavors of ripe fruit or orange marmalade with maybe a hint of sourness at the end. What would be causes for this? Could I have pitched too warm? My procedure for lagers is to chill to about 65 then put in fridge for around 8 hours to come down to 50. Maybe the wort isn't coming down to 50 when I pitch the yeast, even though the temp controller says it is (that could just be the outside of the keg/carboy). And maybe there's a slight contamination from letting it sit like that? Just throwing around ideas.
Either way, it's frustrating. The beer isn't what it's supposed to be and it doesn't make me think Weihenstephaner Premium at all. Just having trouble with my light lagers! They're hard to brew!

Online erockrph

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
Any chance the thermostat on your temp controller could be out of calibration?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 11:06:15 AM »
I hope not, it's pretty new. I noticed that it does read a little bit higher than the actual temp of the beer though. I'm just thinking that maybe 8 hours isn't enough time to bring 4 gallons down to 50 from 65 in, say, a 45F fridge. My tap water is 47F right now so maybe I should take advantage of that while I can. I know DavidZach was saying something about infection from leaving it overnight.
Underpitching or under aeration doesn't seem a likely culprit, since this last batch, I stepped up a starter from 1L to 2L, then aerated for 2 minutes with pure O2. It's either infection or pitching too warm, I reckon. Unless anyone has anything other ideas.

I do have a new co2 system now, except the tank, so I think I can rule that out from here on out if this should happen again.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:08:41 AM by beersk »

Online HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
The hint of sourness at the end sounds like possible infection. I suppose pH a little lower than intended could cause a slight sourness too.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 11:24:12 AM »
The hint of sourness at the end sounds like possible infection. I suppose pH a little lower than intended could cause a slight sourness too.
That's possible. The recipe for 4.5 gallons was something like 7lb Best pils, 1lb munich 10L, and 3oz acid malt. RO water with a bit of gypsum and calcium chloride to the minimum levels, per Bru'n water. Hopped to around 20IBU with Hallertau mittelfruh, WY2206.
Be nice to know if it is infection so that I can take precautions to avoid it (maybe not letting it sit overnight before pitching yeast). I could brew lagers when the tap water is super cold like right now and pitch in the low 50s or get a pump and recirculate ice water...

Online erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 12:31:40 PM »
If your sanitation is up to snuff, then there's no reason you couldn't let it sit overnight to make sure you get as low as you need before pitching. I know there are guys out there who make good beer by pitching warm for their lagers, but I feel much more comfortable pitching down at 45F and starting the first week or so in the upper 40's.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 01:19:48 PM »
Hmm, could be. The helles was fermented in a carboy that had haze in it, whether that's a culprit or not, I don't know. The issue seemed to start showing up after a bit in the keg. Now that i have a new co2 system, perhaps it'll go away. Hard to say. I just have a hard time believing that was the issue. Brewing is hard!

And the helles had a weird foam pattern. Which my current pilsner is starting to get now as well. It's splotchy/patchy sections of foam on top after the head settles. I've had that happen to a number of beers.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:48:42 PM by beersk »

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 02:45:30 PM »
I've had foam like that before and I figured if I lightly shake the carboy and it dissipates  then I don't believe it's an infection.

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 06:09:54 PM »
I've had foam like that before and I figured if I lightly shake the carboy and it dissipates  then I don't believe it's an infection.
Oh, I meant in the pint glass. Weird splotchy head after the head falls, almost looks like yeast rafts, but with foam.

Offline alestateyall

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
DMS causes
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2014, 08:52:38 PM »
Hmm, could be. The helles was fermented in a carboy that had haze in it, whether that's a culprit or not, I don't know. The issue seemed to start showing up after a bit in the keg. Now that i have a new co2 system, perhaps it'll go away. Hard to say. I just have a hard time believing that was the issue. Brewing is hard!

And the helles had a weird foam pattern. Which my current pilsner is starting to get now as well. It's splotchy/patchy sections of foam on top after the head settles. I've had that happen to a number of beers.

I get similar weird foam with a Helles I currently have. I figured it was from lots of proteins causing the foam coagulate in globs as it dissipated. Just a hunch. My Helles has 2# of wheat which is part of why I think that.