Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can-bottle  (Read 3105 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Can-bottle
« on: December 28, 2013, 02:26:04 pm »
I emailed these guys to see if there is a way to get these by the case. If it's possible to cap them without a huge expense, it seems like a great way to go. They have to be cheaper than glass, especially if the glass is new and shipped. If I could get them for $10 a case or less, I think it would be worth it. Sanitize, bottle, drink, recycle, done.

https://www.ball.com/beverage-innovation/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Can-bottle
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:33:58 pm »
I'll look forward to what you find out.  It may not be easy for a private individual to do biz with Ball.  You may have to order 10K at a time!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 02:51:05 pm »
Right. It may be worth while if several of is could try them out and then express our demand to the big hbs though. We'll see what they say.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 08:04:31 pm »
A big brewery in Indy uses those for some of their beers. I'll be curious to hear what Ball says - I agree with Denny that they probably deal those in big volumes.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 07:57:14 am »
With repeated use I wonder how long the "water-based polymer lining" will last.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:08:30 am »
If they're cheap enough, once would work

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 06:27:50 pm »
Well I think the Alumitech bottle for homebrew is a ways off still. After some effort I found a bottling canning plant maker who sweet talked Ball into sending me a sample. I got 12 of them, all of which had holes poked in the bottom to make them unusable. So, too options. Reuse store bough or order about 11 pallets of them at 39 cents per can.

Neither works for me. Think I'll stick with kegging and occasionally bottling

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 07:55:07 pm »
Well I think the Alumitech bottle for homebrew is a ways off still. After some effort I found a bottling canning plant maker who sweet talked Ball into sending me a sample. I got 12 of them, all of which had holes poked in the bottom to make them unusable. So, too options. Reuse store bough or order about 11 pallets of them at 39 cents per can.

Neither works for me. Think I'll stick with kegging and occasionally bottling
Hole on the bottom is a defenettly right way to present the product to potential buyer.
I do not deal with Balls. I go thru Crown.
$.39 per bottle looks quite expensive to my opinion.
They would most likely want as you would buy one skid of lids for it too.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 12:36:38 am »
Well, in my opinion the can is a far superior package for beer than glass. I was hoping to discover a type of can that a homebrewer could use. If the Ball Alumitek 16 oz was available for about $20 for 40... I'd be all over it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 08:51:40 am »
Well, in my opinion the can is a far superior package for beer than glass. I was hoping to discover a type of can that a homebrewer could use. If the Ball Alumitek 16 oz was available for about $20 for 40... I'd be all over it.

have you seen the Stainless long neck? http://deepwoodbrew.com/stainless-steel-bottles/9-stainless-steel-bottle-12oz.html

seems like it might be just what your after.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 10:31:39 am »
$6 each is steep. Wish they were cheaper.

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 01:48:47 pm »

Agreed.  I hate to find that a small dent on the lip makes them unusable after a few batches.  The ROI for a bottle like this has got to be in the "years".  I have trouble keeping a leash on the growlers that get loaned out and a bottle feels like it might be even more likely to wander off in someone's picnic basket.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 05:44:41 pm »

Agreed.  I hate to find that a small dent on the lip makes them unusable after a few batches.  The ROI for a bottle like this has got to be in the "years".  I have trouble keeping a leash on the growlers that get loaned out and a bottle feels like it might be even more likely to wander off in someone's picnic basket.

There is not ROI in homebrewing. It is a hobby.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:12 pm »

There is not ROI in homebrewing. It is a hobby.

Fair enough. However my hobby money is finite and I'm going to maximize what I get for what I spend, if I can. It's hard to turn off the engineer brain.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 10:19:45 pm »
It would be fun to bottle in stainless for NHC, and ship in a stainless foam lined attache case. Or hand deliver with it handcuffed to your arm. Black suit, mirrored shades...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:21:16 pm by klickitat jim »