Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chili pepper porter recipe?  (Read 9822 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Chili pepper porter recipe?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 01:22:35 pm »
Personally I prefer to avoid dried chilies. I normally use two peppers per gallon and leave them for 48-72 hours. Habaneros are fun. Good flavor with a long lingering heat. Jalapeños are good for flavor and medium heat and anaheims are nice too.

Sorry if I am hijacking... I am planning to add habaneros to an upcoming 5 gallon batch. You recommend using 2 peppers per gallon? I am going for something more subdued than a normal chile beer but still noticeable. Maybe 1 pepper per gallon?

I'm a chile head, but I don't normally see habanero and "subdued" in the same sentence. I wouldn't use much of it if that's what you're after.

True, but the flavor of Habaneros is fantastic. You can really dial a lot of that heat down by carefully de-seeding/destemming them. I'm also tempted to grow some of these this year:

http://www.cooksgarden.com/vegetables/peppers/hot-pepper-zavory-prod000250.html?catId=2037&trail=

Yep, I do it all the time and I agree they do have great flavor. All things being equal though, I was picturing a poblano or similar for subdued flavor. But removing seeds and stems does remove most of the heat.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 01:26:11 pm »

True, but the flavor of Habaneros is fantastic. You can really dial a lot of that heat down by carefully de-seeding/destemming them. I'm also tempted to grow some of these this year:

http://www.cooksgarden.com/vegetables/peppers/hot-pepper-zavory-prod000250.html?catId=2037&trail=

+a bunch. This is spot on in my opinion. Though about 100 times hotter than a jalapeño, the flavor is far superior. If used in moderation at a medium between heat and flavor, you're not going to find a better pepper than a habanero.

I plan on attempting a mango/habanero beer of sort this year. Sure, you can add a blind amount of habanero to a beer and melt the faces off anybody who drinks it, or you can focus on flavoring it with habanero and make a nice chili flavored beer that finishes with a touch of heat. Le others said, I think I'd add a bit at a time regardless of chili choice until you get your desired flavor and heat.
Frank

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 04:28:57 pm »

+a bunch. This is spot on in my opinion. Though about 100 times hotter than a jalapeño, the flavor is far superior. If used in moderation at a medium between heat and flavor, you're not going to find a better pepper than a habanero.

I plan on attempting a mango/habanero beer of sort this year. Sure, you can add a blind amount of habanero to a beer and melt the faces off anybody who drinks it, or you can focus on flavoring it with habanero and make a nice chili flavored beer that finishes with a touch of heat. Le others said, I think I'd add a bit at a time regardless of chili choice until you get your desired flavor and heat.

You basically nailed what I am going for. The beer inspiring me used apricots I believe but I am not sure what fruit I will use yet.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 04:50:01 pm »
A cool experiment that could be done is to divide a 5 gallon batch up into gallons and add a different type of chili or blend of chilies to each batch... Figure out which you like best.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 04:56:46 pm »

Never had a mango/habanero beer, but it's a great flavor combination for food - a real Caribbean thing. I like to puree mango and habaneros with some white vinegar and use it as a marinade/sauce for grilled chicken or chicken wings. Served with some coconut rice. Killer stuff !
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 08:55:01 am »

Never had a mango/habanero beer, but it's a great flavor combination for food - a real Caribbean thing. I like to puree mango and habaneros with some white vinegar and use it as a marinade/sauce for grilled chicken or chicken wings. Served with some coconut rice. Killer stuff !

I had a cask of Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues that had mango and habanero added in the cask. It was incredible and I don't even like mango. I've since thought about recreating it but haven't got around to it yet.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing