Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First kegging attempt, Explosion  (Read 9593 times)

Offline vinnieb

• 1st Kit
Re: First kegging attempt, Explosion
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 11:48:50 am »
Thanks all for the help.  Seems the common issue here is attenuation.  I'll be chalking this 5 gallon batch up to a loss. 

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 11:48:58 am »
I can only imagine the mess that it created... I've had the lid blow off a bucket before in my living room when I first started brewing... DIPA... Covered my wall, ceiling, and TV with hop and trub... That was at much lower pressure than I'm sure your keg exploded at.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline vinnieb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 12:43:27 pm »
Well, it ran through the floor boards(hardwood floors) and into the basement of my condo.  Covered everything in the closet and shattered two 1 liter bottle full of beer. It also cracked the wall moulding that it was against.  Took about 2 hours to clean up.  I don't cry over spilled milk, but spilt beer.....its a very sad day indeed.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 03:11:45 pm »
I agree with jroth and the others who are suggesting your beer wasn't done yet and the priming sugar pushed it over the top.  Everything I brew in 1.06x range drops to 1.010 or 1.009 after 12 to 14 days (typically).

I've had one or two mini-kegs bulge out on me due to over priming.  I got to the point I would only use 1/3 as much priming sugar for the mini-kegs as I used for bottles.  I sold all my mini-kegs, taps and such when I started using 5 gal Cornelius kegs.

I'd get going on the next brew and give it a few more days to finish.  Live and learn.   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 07:05:26 pm »
If i remember correctly those kegs arnt rated for more then 2 volumes of co2.  The specific directions are something like 1-2 tablespoons of sugar per keg for sufficient carbing according to their restrictions.

Sucks that it blew.  hope you and everyone in your family are ok!

Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 07:42:22 am »
Nah 1.018 isn't too high for a beer to be done. Depends on the recipe and yeast of course.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 08:01:45 am »
Nah 1.018 isn't too high for a beer to be done. Depends on the recipe and yeast of course.
True, but racking the beer off the cake after four days and assuming 1.018 is truly FG certainly isn't best practice.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 08:21:21 am »
Maybe I'm missing something but from the picture those look like the mini kegs you can buy that already have carbonated beer in them when you get them.

If so I'm thinking they are not designed to withstand the pressure created when naturally carbonating a beer, only for beer that has already been carbonated.

They remind me of those commercial 'tap-a-kegs' you get at the liquor store.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 08:48:27 am »
Maybe I'm missing something but from the picture those look like the mini kegs you can buy that already have carbonated beer in them when you get them.

If so I'm thinking they are not designed to withstand the pressure created when naturally carbonating a beer, only for beer that has already been carbonated.

that's what it is but a lot of people repurpose them for homebrew. it works okay most of the time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 10:04:02 am »
Looks like one shouldn't rush their batches if using them though!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 10:07:37 am »

Midwest Supplies sells them as kits for the very purpose that the OP was using them.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mini-keg.html

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 10:13:26 am »
Way back in 95 I bought some from Williams.  They were selling a similar kit at that time.  Midwest may be one of the last places still selling them but I've seen them at the LHBS, as well (though that may have been very long ago).
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 10:15:35 am »
I know Adventures in Homebrewing still sells them as well
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 10:30:00 am »
Thanks all for the help.  Seems the common issue here is attenuation.  I'll be chalking this 5 gallon batch up to a loss.

If not already asked for, could you post your complete recipe details/notes? This might further explain what transpired.
Ron Price

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 10:36:12 am »

Midwest Supplies sells them as kits for the very purpose that the OP was using them.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mini-keg.html
ok, got it! Although I guess I wouldn't suggest the OP's picture and example then for product marketing;)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010