Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Careful out there - AHA Forum phishing email  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Careful out there - AHA Forum phishing email
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:05:16 am »
I just got an email that looked identical to the AHA Forum new topic notification emails. It contained the normal links, but they were to bogus versions of the website. I'm sure the goal is try get you to try to log in on the bogus site, at which point they can log in here and post spam.

The message was completely off topic, which should help you recognize it - Selecting a hairstyle for a wedding. But the look is identical.

I'd be happy to forward the message to AHA IT if they want to see it. Just send me an address.

And no I didn't compromise my account.

Also, I realize this is probably a 'Forum Admin' thread, but I thought more would see the warning here. Feel free to move this and smack my hands.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Careful out there - AHA Forum phishing email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:12:52 am »
I;ll let Nate and Cindy know.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline natez

• AHA Sr. Web Developer
  • Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:16:46 am »
Thanks Guys-

We found the source of the Phishermen and have blocked access for them to access the forum. Somehow they harvested your email address. Please post any other attacks to this thread.

-Nate

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:09:15 am »
The message was completely off topic, which should help you recognize it - Selecting a hairstyle for a wedding. But the look is identical.

Well...what's the answer?  I think AmandaK is getting married this year and may want to know. ;D

Thanks for the heads up.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:22:33 am »
Yesterday I clicked on my shortcut icon to get to the forum.  A warning message came up that for some reason the forum page was not using verification or something... it suggested that another site might be trying to impersonate the AHA forum.  I decided not to connect after all.  Later on it was fine.  Weird.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:24:18 am »
Yesterday I clicked on my shortcut icon to get to the forum.  A warning message came up that for some reason the forum page was not using verification or something... it suggested that another site might be trying to impersonate the AHA forum.  I decided not to connect after all.  Later on it was fine.  Weird.

Nate told me that the security certificate for the site expired yesterday and they didn't realize it for a while.  It was renewed and everything should be fine now.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:26:43 am »
That's what it was.  Thanks for clarifying.  Can you tell I'm not much of a techie? 

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 04:34:57 pm »
Yea, it happened to me while trying to apply for the NHC competition - it wouldn't let me submit, but then after a few minutes I tried again without problems!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"