Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stoopid Polar Vortex!  (Read 6833 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Stoopid Polar Vortex!
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2014, 12:27:19 pm »

Seriously, we must really be earning an awesome spring/summer.  I can't wait.

or maybe mother earth is starting to fight back.....  ::)

If it follows the most recent pattern we will

1) Continue to freeze until EOM March
2) Rain like cats and dogs every 27 hours until EOM April
3) Wash away any loose soil in my yard and off the farms all Spring
4) Go directly into another drought with 95+ deg temps every day until September
5) No rain from June 1st until Mid-September
6) Be back in the deep freeze by mid-October.

More and more I ask myself why I stay in Iowa.   ::)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 12:30:32 pm »

4) Go directly into another drought with 95+ deg temps every day until September

Paul

That's the exact pattern here recently. It's crap.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:46:22 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 07:26:01 pm »
It was pretty cold out there this morning, fellas.  I should have brought my propane tank in to warm up last night - it froze up within the first 5 min.  So I brought it in for an hour or so and gave it another shot.  Everything was fine from that point onward. 

I spent the majority of the brew session indoors, doing other brewing chores and organizing in the basement.  Celebrationish Ale is bubbling away!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 08:16:56 am »
Just having to vent this morning as my kids are off school again today because according to the powers that be it is just too cold! My kids have not had a full week of school since winter break ended either due to cold or snow or some national holiday. Mind you I have one in HS, one in Jr. high and one in 5th grade, they all take buses or carpools to school and since we are in the modern age here, all schools are climate controlled environments!!!

Everyone I know goes to work each day, some wait outside for public transportation even, I know contractors that get bundled up to work outside, I see pothole patchers daily braving the elements and I still take my dog for a walk. Since when did we all become a society of wimps?

I do understand that not all people live in the 'burbs and may walk to school or whatever but this is Chicago, we do have winter and it is usually cold, we all have winter jackets, gloves, hats, scarves and boots so bundle up people and get real, this is just ridiculous already!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.................
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2014, 08:33:38 am »

Paul
Me and my girlfriend are starting to talk about moving to Fort Collins where it's not so freakin' cold as Iowa City, Iowa. I biked to work today and it was -8 with pretty much no wind. It was pretty cold, but not too bad. I don't like to go much colder though, especially if there's any more than a 5 or so mph wind. I'd like it to at least be seasonal temps in the 20s.
I brew inside on the stove, so no issues with cold or bad weather affecting my brewing.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2014, 08:53:41 am »
Just having to vent this morning as my kids are off school again today because according to the powers that be it is just too cold! My kids have not had a full week of school since winter break ended either due to cold or snow or some national holiday. Mind you I have one in HS, one in Jr. high and one in 5th grade, they all take buses or carpools to school and since we are in the modern age here, all schools are climate controlled environments!!!

Everyone I know goes to work each day, some wait outside for public transportation even, I know contractors that get bundled up to work outside, I see pothole patchers daily braving the elements and I still take my dog for a walk. Since when did we all become a society of wimps?

I do understand that not all people live in the 'burbs and may walk to school or whatever but this is Chicago, we do have winter and it is usually cold, we all have winter jackets, gloves, hats, scarves and boots so bundle up people and get real, this is just ridiculous already!

Relax.  It's for the kids.

But seriously, I don't disagree with you in general.  However, in a large public school system like Chicago's I understand that not all families are as well equipped with cold weather gear.  This cold is extreme, if not so much in intensity as in duration.  It's wreaking havoc on infrastructure and I'd hate to see something happen to a kid because the parents were ill-equipped for the cold or just bad circumstances in frigid temps.

What bothered me more was last year they closed schools in anticipation of snow.  Because we all know that the forecast is exactly what will happen.

However, it's not just the cold.  We get the same thing in the summer when its hot.  I don't know when people lost the common sense to cool off when its hot and bundle up when its cold, but it sure seems like something changed in the last 30 years or so.  Probably the widespread distribution and reliance on A/C.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2014, 09:26:06 am »
Joe,

I agree that in the city it can prove to be a bigger issue for your reasons stated but here in the burbs not so much.

My office is across from a large sledding hill and both yesterday and today there are families sledding. Also in the paper as well as in my neighborhood are kids bundled up playing hockey in their back yard rinks so why is it too cold to be in a heated classroom?

Just because there are issues to combat in the city doesn't mean the entire area need to cancel school across the board

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 09:29:58 am »

Relax.  It's for the kids.

But seriously, I don't disagree with you in general.  However, in a large public school system like Chicago's I understand that not all families are as well equipped with cold weather gear.  This cold is extreme, if not so much in intensity as in duration.  It's wreaking havoc on infrastructure and I'd hate to see something happen to a kid because the parents were ill-equipped for the cold or just bad circumstances in frigid temps.

What bothered me more was last year they closed schools in anticipation of snow.  Because we all know that the forecast is exactly what will happen.

However, it's not just the cold.  We get the same thing in the summer when its hot.  I don't know when people lost the common sense to cool off when its hot and bundle up when its cold, but it sure seems like something changed in the last 30 years or so.  Probably the widespread distribution and reliance on A/C.

I agree with you on this.  I grew up in rural NW Iowa ("rural is pretty much everywhere in NW Iowa).  Our winters were always this cold.  -5 was not abnormal.  Snow came in 6"-10" loads and and there was always wind.  We went to school everyday you could get a vehicle to the road.  We played outside at recess everyday and non of died because of the weather.

We wore long underwear, we had heavy coats and thick stocking caps.  When they started selling "ski gloves" it was a godsend over mittens and yellow cotton gloves.  We worked outside everyday doing chores and repairing machinery.  we learned to stay out of the wind if possible but just dealt with if it wasn't.  Kids are awfully tough if you let them be.

The main reason for the 2 hour delays and closures due to cold is the threat of lawsuits against a school when the parents don't dress their kids warm enough.

I'll leave it at that as I don't think we should turn down that path of discussion.

I'll be kegging a RIPA and a Scottish 70 in the next couple of weeks in the comfort of my basement.  I'll look at brewing dates as the college basketball regular season winds down.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 09:32:34 am »
Agreed. 

In general, I think society has become much more cautious about these things (extreme weather just being one example) as society has become much more litigious.

I have no idea if they're closing the private schools in the City.  I know the universities are not closing.

I also know that I moved my saison this morning to be right near the heating vent as the basement temps are a little chillier.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 12:56:22 pm »
"I also know that I moved my saison this morning to be right near the heating vent as the basement temps are a little chillier."

Because after all, it really comes down to what's best for the beer;)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 01:37:15 pm »
"I also know that I moved my saison this morning to be right near the heating vent as the basement temps are a little chillier."

Because after all, it really comes down to what's best for the beer;)

Darn right.  You can teach the kids to go get a blanket when they're chilly, but you can't teach the yeast to do that.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »
You just can't count on people having common sense anymore.  Yesterday our schools were canceled, because the windchills were around -40.  I ran to town for some stuff and saw two young teenage kids come walking into Walmart wearing basketball shorts, ankle socks, sneakers and sweatshirts.  They were with their mom.   ::)

So there you go.  FWIW, I'd much rather sweat it out for two more days in June than struggle through this weather and possibly endanger kids waiting for a bus.  Plus, the buses have a hard time staying running in weather this cold.  A bus full of kids, broken down on the roadside with -40 windchills?  Sounds like a bad idea.