Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Washer Setup  (Read 5683 times)

Offline singletrack brewer

• Cellarman
Keg Washer Setup
« on: January 29, 2014, 05:39:08 am »
Morning all in cybeerland, we just received our new keg washer from Premier Stainless (KGW-M-02 for those interested in which one) and am in the midst of getting the system up and running.  Looking over the service requirements there is one for an air compressor that can deliver 30-40 psi @ 7-15 SCFM and is oil free.  I poked around on the probrewer.com forums and I see that some are skipping the compressed air and are using their existing CO2 source to purge the kegs and are using Acid #6 or similar product for cleaning in a CO2 environment.  So what are my fellow brewers here using for their keg washing set ups, air compressors or straight CO2?  Thanks for the help with this.
Chris
Brewer, Push Brewing Co

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Keg Washer Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 06:06:03 am »
We have a homemade keg cleaner (3 head) and use compressed air for cleaning cycle. We used to then use co2 for the sanitation cycle but due to the limits of the system the co2 didn't purge out all the sanitizer so instead we purge and sanitize each keg separately. It sucks, and I want a real keg cleaner.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:42:00 am »
If you decide to go the air compressor route, you should check out Ingersoll-Rand rotary screw compressors with the Total Air System.  These are not oil-free compressors, but they do have a filtration/drying system that is designed to put clean air into your packaging system.  We ordered this one: http://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/Ingersoll-Rand-UP6-5TAS-125.230-3-Air-Compressor/p2389.html.  We'll be using it for both our keg washer/filler and our canning line.

Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:51:53 pm »
I have a home made one keg washer and use the #6 cleaner and just CO2. Until I spring for a good compressor that is what I'll be using.

Major, are you running your CO2 through a high volume regulator and/or experiencing freezing? Just trying to avoid a problem down the road when I make possibly a 3 head cleaner like yours.

Thanks for the link Matt. What canning line did you decide on?

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 09:16:42 pm »
We went with a Wild Goose MC-100. Should be arriving in mid-March.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:18:12 am »
Good hearing from everyone regarding this and thanks for the compressor suggestion Pawtucket Pat.  I talked with the owner last night and we are looking at the pros and cons of going straight CO2 versus adding an air compressor for purging the kegs to clean.  Using just CO2 would mean one less piece of equipment to obtain and set up.  However, we are looking what will be the most cost beneficial in the long run.  Sure we could spend X on the compressor and such for the utilities to run that, or we can go all CO2 and just have our tank refilled more often.  At some point the cost of one over the other will offset and we are trying to get info on that part of it to make the overall decision.  Anyone have any insight as to how much CO2 we might go through for each round of cleaning? Not looking for absolute numbers just ball park since it all depends on how many kegs and which size they are.  Again, thanks for the assistance here. 
Chris
Brewer, Push Brewing Co

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 08:27:35 am »
My plan is to use CO2 until I need and can afford the air compressor. My CO2 cost just north of 20 cents a pound. I in 2 months I have used about 250#, which is 120 kegs cleaned, carbonating beer and serving.

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 08:55:51 am »
Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.  How many brites are you running for carbing? We have four since we serve directly from them.
Chris
Brewer, Push Brewing Co

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:09:48 pm »
Carbing in 1/2bbls, first 15bbl bright/fermenter should be here in two weeks.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 06:57:03 pm »
I have home made keg washer and I use only CO2 in there.
If you buy CO2 in bulk (and you should) it is not that expensive. Get heated bulk tank (600lb) and this way you will not freeze your tank. Find a supplier you can rent your tank from. They are quite affordable.

I also have 18 CFM screw compressor with dryer but I do not use it in my keg washer set up.
If I would have bought keg washer I would use compress air.

Good luck.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 07:00:07 pm »
I have a home made one keg washer and use the #6 cleaner and just CO2. Until I spring for a good compressor that is what I'll be using.

Major, are you running your CO2 through a high volume regulator and/or experiencing freezing? Just trying to avoid a problem down the road when I make possibly a 3 head cleaner like yours.

Thanks for the link Matt. What canning line did you decide on?
Marc,

Do you have heated CO2 tank?
If not talk to American Welding and tell them that you want that.
They will replace your tank for the same rent.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 10:38:49 am »
Yes it's a heated tank, but I think you can still freeze up a regulator.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 02:32:31 pm »
Yes it's a heated tank, but I think you can still freeze up a regulator.
I do not have that experience.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing