Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt head?  (Read 6385 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Malt head?
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 07:59:34 am »
Yesterday I went out for a couple brews at a brewpub- Freetail Brewing... Anyway I had a English style Pale ale @30 and and a Simcoe IPA @65bu's.

Whew I could hardly drink the IPA! It was so cloyingly bitter. It was a good IPA but I was tasting that one way after finishing it. Enjoyment factor scaled way down. Guess I'm becoming a fuddy-duddy. ???
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 08:46:53 am »

Whew I could hardly drink the IPA! It was so cloyingly bitter.

I feel the same way on some IPAs. I've been preferring the more hop bursted ones for awhile. More like APA bitterness up front, with tons of hop flavor and aroma at the end. A lot more drinkable IMO.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 08:58:04 am »
It's funny, I am mostly a malt head, well, that and yeast. I brew more belgians and big malty Barley wines than almost anything with a fair amount of the other stuff being british style session beers, porters, kolsch type malt focused beers but two of the last three brews for me have been IPA. I think they might have only been the 2nd and third IPAs I've brewed in 7 + years too.

I do agree that overly bitter IPA doesn't work for me but I love lot's of late hop goodness.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 10:41:00 am »
It's funny, I am mostly a malt head, well, that and yeast. I brew more belgians and big malty Barley wines than almost anything with a fair amount of the other stuff being british style session beers, porters, kolsch type malt focused beers but two of the last three brews for me have been IPA. I think they might have only been the 2nd and third IPAs I've brewed in 7 + years too.

I do agree that overly bitter IPA doesn't work for me but I love lot's of late hop goodness.

Other than the sour stuff you're brewing, I'm with you all the way.

My last British session beer came in low on the OG, though, so it tastes pretty hoppy.  But not bad at all.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton