Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stroganoff?  (Read 5256 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Stroganoff?
« on: March 29, 2010, 01:58:31 pm »
Anyone have a good Beef Stroganoff recipe? I have egg noodles, mushrooms, sour cream and .... well .... ground turkey. Need to do something with it and wanted to do something a little different than tacos. I know cubed beef works best but I just want to see some recipes, if anyone has a good one.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Stroganoff?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 02:40:31 pm »
Ground turkey?!  Egads man!

Sometimes thoroughly inappropriate ingredients can make the best challenges for a cook, and occasionally result in unexpectedly good discoveries.  But my stroganov, which I haven't made in a while, is quite simple but mostly centers around partially frozen sirloin steak sliced against the grain at a diagonal with a fiendishly sharp knife until its almost transparently thin.  That trick gone, nothing sets my stroganov apart from the pack really.  Some Luksosawa (or however that's spelled) vodka iced down for the chef doesn't hurt either.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 02:54:37 pm »
I try to keep an open mind in regards to recipes and the like but ground turkey???

Well if that's what your left with then I guess you could give it a try but don't even let the Capster know what you're doing. This just might set him off.

Anyway here's a simple way to go...

1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles
1 pound ground turkey
Make some cream of mushroom sauce using fresh mushrooms and cream, salt, pepper (thicken with flour or cornstarch)
fresh chopped garlic
1/2 cup sour cream salt and pepper to taste

cook noodles
saute ground turkey with salt and pepper and garlic
add mushroom sauce with a splash of white wine
fold in sour cream and fresh parsley to finish.

and remember shhhhhhh...
Ron Price

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 02:56:50 pm »
If you gave some bulls a stack of PlayBull, you would probably have some Beef Stroganoff.   ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.....

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 03:19:51 pm »
Dont make stroganov, make sweedish meat balls. Kinda the same thing.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:13:14 pm »
I'd form the turkey into little meatballs, brown them, then braise them in some sauteed onions, paprika,  & a bit of broth.  When most of the liquid is reduced stir in the sour cream. 
Kind of a combination of stroganoff and paprikash.
Should go very nicely with the buttered egg noodles.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 06:04:40 pm »
I don't like swedish meatballs. I like stroganoff. My mom used to make it with ground beef and I loved it. Seasoned right I can't really tell that much difference between ground turkey and ground beef. But my colon can.  :)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 06:11:50 pm »
I dont understand.

There is really only one ingredient difference between Stroganov sauce and Swedish meat ball gravy. Dont you like nutmeg?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 06:15:04 pm »
I like it in Egg Nog. That's about it. Never cared for swedish meatballs. I do like those little swedish fish though.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 06:20:08 pm »
Oh yeah me too. I ate a couple of fist fulls of them today.

boulderbrewer

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 01:29:38 am »
OK boys, here is a recipe you don't need meat and it is better than Stroken off!

Ingredients
1 large onion minced
2 tsp of olive oil
4 cups of Vegetable stock half wine is OK
2# of fresh mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1 larger bell pepper red or green or 2 pale hungarian peppers cut into 1" pieces
1 large carrot, grated
1 to 2 tablespoons of Parpirka
1/3 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup unbleached flour

In a large Dutch oven or pot saute' onion in oil until soft and transparent add stock, mushrooms,peppers,carrots and paprika. Stir well to coat Vegetables with sauce, Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until veggies are tender.
While the veggies cook, Whisk the sour cream and flour in a small bowl, (add some water  to mix if needed) Whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot broth until smooth, add to the until the mixture resembles pancake batter.

Stirring bubbling vegetable mixture, slowly add the sour cream mixture to the pot. Stir until completely blended. (mixture will be thicker and lighter coloered) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes

Serve over rice or your noodles

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 05:32:49 am »
Alright, I'm gonna try it but with my ground turkey (and I'm gonna leave out the carrots since I don't have any).

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 02:17:01 pm »
Ground turkey.....yucch.  I like to make stroganoff with strips of antelope steak....like a real man.

1 pound or so antelope backstrap, thinly sliced while still semi-frozen.  Season it with salt and pepper, maybe a dash of soy sauce, and let it warm to room temperature.

1 tablespoon dry mustard 
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon sugar  (mix these three together in a paste)

1 tablespoon butter plus a dash of olive oil to keep it from burning
1 pound mushrooms, sliced 
1 cup finely chopped onion
squirt of concentrated tomato paste out of the tube
1 tbsp flour 
1/2 cup white wine
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup sour cream 

Heat butter until it is about to brown.  Sear the steak, a few pieces at a time.  Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.

Add mushrooms, onion, and little salt to skillet and cook until vegetables begin to brown and dark bits form on bottom of pan, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomato paste and flour and cook, stirring constantly, until onions and mushrooms are coated, about 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup wine, and mustard paste and bring to simmer, scraping ¬bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. After a couple of minute, add the beef broth.  Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to medium and cook until sauce has reduced slightly and begun to thicken, 4 to 6 minutes.

Stir in meat and any accumulated juices into thickened sauce and cook until antelope has warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let any bubbles subside. Stir in sour cream; season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 02:31:51 pm »
Ground turkey really isn't bad at all. I almost never buy ground beef. Even my tacos and, often time, my chili is with ground turkey. Now, that said, you can't fake a good old Burger with ground turkey.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 02:48:27 pm »
I'm not anti-turkey at all myself.  You can make good stuff with it.  For an authentic stroganoff, hamburger doesn't belong in it any more than turkey does, but we'll be interested to see how Major's Turkanoff turns out!

I have cooked before with tubes of mechanically separated turkey.  Now...that stuff....was nasty.  Poor man's fois gras, looks like you could spread it on a cracker.  Cut with ground beef into a smoked meatloaf it wasn't half bad though.