Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Sandwich Thread.  (Read 6838 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: The Sandwich Thread.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 05:59:20 pm »
Here's another famous sandwich from Nawlins called a "Po-Boy".

A "dressed" po' boy has lettuce, tomato and mayonaise; pickles and onion are optional. Non-seafood po' boys will also usually have mustard, but the customer is expected to specify whether they want "hot" or "regular" - the former being a coarse grained Creole mustard (such as that produced by Zatarain's) and the latter being American yellow mustard. Mother's Restaurant, a popular lunch stop in New Orleans on Poydras St., uses shredded green cabbage rather than lettuce for its dressed sandwiches.

A shrimp Po-Boy

or a fried Oyster Sandwich...mmm...mmm...good. I can feel my arteries hardening up as I type.  ;D

Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 08:15:42 pm »
Here's another famous sandwich from Nawlins called a "Po-Boy".

Yep, every time Cappazolli mentioned making a fried crab or fried shrimp or fried oyster sammich, I kept thinking "Po Boy"
Joe

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 05:26:57 pm »
I didnt get pics but we made the soft shell crab and bacon club last night.

All I can say is wow. It was wonderful. Illdo it again real soon and get some pics.

I really want to make a bagel with cold smoked lobster tail cream cheese lettuce tom. and onion.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 07:16:53 pm »
Well, I love me a fried oyster Po'Boy. 
Tuna salad and provolone with lettuce, onion, and  oil& vinegar on a good sub roll is also a favorite.

But for me, the ultimate favorite is old fashioned 'navel' or 'plate' pastrami that has spent a full 2 or 3 hours in the steam cabinet, hand sliced and piled on rye bread, as served at places like Katz's Deli on the lower east side of New York City, Langer's in LA...and lately,  at a great old fashioned retro styled place called Irving's Deli in Livingston, NJ.   

Places that really do pastrami or corned beef  right are becoming rarer and rarer.
You haven't ever really had pastrami (or corned beef, for that matter) unless you get it from one of these 'old school'  Jewish delicatessens..that 2 or 3 hours the meat spends in the steam cabinet makes the meat meltingly tender. 
Also, if a deli brags about having lean pastrami or corned beef, turn around and walk out. 
It ain't the real deal.

AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 07:22:17 pm »

But for me, the ultimate favorite is old fashioned 'navel' or 'plate' pastrami that has spent a full 2 or 3 hours in the steam cabinet, hand sliced and piled on rye bread, as served at places like Katz's Deli on the lower east side of New York City, Langer's in LA...and lately,  at a great old fashioned retro styled place called Irving's Deli in Livingston, NJ.   

Oh Yea!

That is a fine sandwich.

I've had the real deal at The Reading Terminal Market in Philly layered on some great Jewish Rye Bread.

Great Sandwich indeed!
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 07:41:54 pm »
Oh yeah!! Jewish deli sandwiches are hard to find. There is Sardi's in NYC, Awesome. Hymie s here in Philly.

My brother was just telling me about a place in NJ called The Kibbutz Room. We are going there next week. With a name like that it has to be good.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us