Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When do you RETIRE a barrel or solera?  (Read 10844 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: When do you RETIRE a barrel or solera?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 09:59:23 am »
Glutamic acid is an amino acid.  MSG (monosodium glutamate) is a sodium salt of glutamic acid.  I believe that the addition of calcium sulfate is effective to reduce soy salt flavor because the calcium binds the glutamate/glutamic acid.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 03:04:42 pm »
Glutamic acid is an amino acid.  MSG (monosodium glutamate) is a sodium salt of glutamic acid.  I believe that the addition of calcium sulfate is effective to reduce soy salt flavor because the calcium binds the glutamate/glutamic acid.
Nice to hear some chemistry of this vector.  I make additions of calcium sulfate to my water
when I adjust the water chemistry for brewing.....fingers crossed I never get those flavors.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 08:15:33 pm »
I believe that I know when to retire the solera.  I put the wine thief in thru the pellicle and
pulled out a small sample.  The taste was overwhelming acetic acid vinegar.  I guess technically
I could use the cask to produce more vinegar but, I do not believe that is the direction I
wish to persue......The liquid looks good and smells great...taste is vinegar....cherry vinegar.

R.I.P.

May be it'll become a nice planter in the yard   ;D
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 03:23:45 pm »
You could always empty it and scorch it with 180+ water to kill any sort of bug activity. Here's a good article (http://morebeer.com/public/pdf/wbarrel.pdf) to look at too. It depends whether you want to invest the time and effort in the hopes of further barrel sours!
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"