Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Now that I have a pump to whirlpool with..,  (Read 2016 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Now that I have a pump to whirlpool with..,
« on: February 26, 2014, 10:40:02 am »
Should I ditch the bazooka screen and create a pipe that pulls from the side?  The bazooka gets clogged with hops even if I uses hop bag and it isn't low enough to pull all the wort.

Ideas?  I've been googling images of how people do this and it's all over the place with the variety of solutions.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Now that I have a pump to whirlpool with..,
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:44:53 am »
I have a false bottom in the kettle and the pick up is below it. Works great with whole hops. Pellets can be an issue above ~10 oz in 10 gallons, as those particles get through.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:33 am »
I have a false bottom in the kettle and the pick up is below it. Works great with whole hops. Pellets can be an issue above ~10 oz in 10 gallons, as those particles get through.

Same here. Pellets not an issue unless I'm using my plate chiller in which case I'll put them in a sock.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline nspake

• Conference
  • 1st Kit
    • ScottishBrewing.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:26:02 am »
One recommendation would be to consider only using an immersion chiller with a whirlpool, such as described by Jamil Z: http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php. I've been doing it this way at his advice for a couple/three years now and am very happy. I already had a 1/2", 50ft. MoreBeer chiller and just purchased their "Jamil" tube and added it. Wort temp drops like crazy that if your chilling water is reasonably cold (I live in Texas so I usually have to pre-chill), and after chilling, if you let the wort sit for at least 20-30min. the hops will all settle out and you'll draw off clear wort (except possibly the first little bit which I use for a gravity sample).

I have a nearly all Blichmann setup but even though I own one I don't use the HopBlocker or any other sort of hop filter. And obviously, I don't use my Therminator any longer either. Two addition advantages I see to going back to immersion is (1) you can truly whirlpool your hops and (2) you chill the ENTIRE wort down as quickly as possible. This is key for  number of reasons not least of which is it helps proteins and other haze promoting material to precipitate out easier.

My two pence.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:40:49 am »

I have a nearly all Blichmann setup but even though I own one I don't use the HopBlocker or any other sort of hop filter. And obviously, I don't use my Therminator any longer either. Two addition advantages I see to going back to immersion is (1) you can truly whirlpool your hops and (2) you chill the ENTIRE wort down as quickly as possible. This is key for  number of reasons not least of which is it helps proteins and other haze promoting material to precipitate out easier.

My two pence.

Do you have a pickup tube? If so, where does it pull from?

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:43:05 am »

I have a smaller false bottom from a mash tun that I don't use often. It's dome shaped with slits and fits in a 5 gallon igloo cooler. As long as I can get it to sit flat would that work?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 12:04:48 pm »

I have a smaller false bottom from a mash tun that I don't use often. It's dome shaped with slits and fits in a 5 gallon igloo cooler. As long as I can get it to sit flat would that work?

It would as long as it fits tight with no gaps, and is stable. I do scrape the false bottom with a SS spoon sometimes if the flow slows. That happens more with pellets.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 12:38:23 pm »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 12:39:05 pm »
By the way, I bag my hops...