Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Grain setup  (Read 11863 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: All Grain setup
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 10:11:48 am »
Much less expensive but same quality beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 11:01:07 am »
Much less expensive but same quality beer.

Yep.  It's worked for me for 16 years and 451 batches.  I have no desire to change.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2014, 03:35:14 pm »
Maybe OP thinks we are trying to sell him something? Just click on the link. It's instructions on how to batch sparge using a home made cooler. Faster, cheaper method than what you are going to find on More Beer. I mean, you can certainly spend the money and still batch sparge on whatever you buy. And maybe you just have some extra money you want to spend. I get that, I love to spend money sometimes too. But at least check it out.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »

Maybe OP thinks we are trying to sell him something? Just click on the link. It's instructions on how to batch sparge using a home made cooler. Faster, cheaper method than what you are going to find on More Beer. I mean, you can certainly spend the money and still batch sparge on whatever you buy. And maybe you just have some extra money you want to spend. I get that, I love to spend money sometimes too. But at least check it out.

No, OP doesn't think that! I'm just leery of using any plastic with hot liquids. Considering the cooler companies tell you not to, I'd rather go SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2014, 04:45:21 pm »
Idly enough I'm using stainless on my set up. But I understand your concerns. Doesn't mean you can't still use same set up but with stainless wrapped with insulation.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2014, 07:05:19 pm »
Yup! I did until I got a pump. Used a yoga mat mash tun cozy, which is now used on my HLT. Photo in last Zymugy.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2014, 06:02:36 am »

Idly enough I'm using stainless on my set up. But I understand your concerns. Doesn't mean you can't still use same set up but with stainless wrapped with insulation.
Is this to maintain the temp while mashing? I suppose this wouldn't be necessary if I had a burner for that stage, correct?   

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2014, 06:10:36 am »
Correct. But without a pump and false bottom you could, or more likely would, scorch your mash. False bottom keeps the grain off the hot bottom, and the pump keeps the wort circulating.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2014, 09:25:15 am »

No, OP doesn't think that! I'm just leery of using any plastic with hot liquids. Considering the cooler companies tell you not to, I'd rather go SS.

They don't exactly tell you not to.  They tell you they haven't tested it.  Why should they?  Coolers are designed to keep things cold, not hot.  But the plastic they're made from is completely inert.  Based on my own investigation and years and hundreds opf batches of use, you shouldn't worry about it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2014, 09:51:34 am »
Coolers have the "Denny Stamp of Approval" to be used as a mash tun. Nuff said;)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2014, 06:57:03 pm »
I mash with a cooler but if you wanna go SS do it. A cooler mashtun is cheap and easy; if you can afford something nicer I say go for it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 02:17:15 pm »
I switched from fly sparging to Denny's system years ago and never looked back.

I am definitely the odd man out here because I tried batch sparging and went back to continuous sparging. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 02:54:40 pm »
I switched from fly sparging to Denny's system years ago and never looked back.

I am definitely the odd man out here because I tried batch sparging and went back to continuous sparging.

interesting. what was your reasoning?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2014, 03:50:18 pm »

I prefer the flavor profile and greater extraction efficiency obtained from continuous sparging.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 04:06:02 pm »

I prefer the flavor profile and greater extraction efficiency obtained from continuous sparging.

what do you notice that's different in the flavor profile? I don't mean to hound, just curious.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce