Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fining vs not Fining  (Read 1184 times)

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
Fining vs not Fining
« on: February 02, 2014, 07:52:11 am »
Does any feel that the flavor losses due to fining may be the same losses as letting it clear over time? Or are they pulling out more.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fining vs not Fining
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:13:38 am »
Depends on the fining agent, I believe.  Some strip more out than others, I am told, with filtering stripping the most.  I think gelatin and Biofine Clear work good and don't seem to drop the flavor significantly.  The Biofine is silicic acid or something like that, so it pulls out the chill haze causing proteins, too, so maybe it affects the taste more than gelatin.  I
Like gelatin because it works in a couple days and I can put it into the serving keg and not have to rack further or remember to add it prior to racking...YMMV, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:42:12 am »
For me gelatin seems to pull quite a bit of flavor out (especially hops). I know several people that won't use gelatin in hoppy beers for that reason. But is it pulling out more than gravity and time?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:44:33 am »
+1. Gelatin drops hop aroma and flavor a small amount in dry hopped beers IMO. Hop oils bind to yeast, so since gelatin is so effective at dropping out yeast, it drops a bit of the dry hop character with it. Not dramatically, and I account for it by increasing dry hop amounts slightly when I use gelatin on an IPA.
Jon H.